Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setenv.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setenv. Post 302265277 by Franklin52 on Saturday 6th of December 2008 09:46:38 AM
Old 12-06-2008
The system function runs the command in a subshell (child) and parent shells don't inherit variables of childs.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setenv Question

I want to add paths to a CLASSPATH variable but if I use the : setenv CLASSPATH /opt all previous entries are erased. How do I append additional entries to a system variable without overwriting the original value. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set, setenv

Well first of all I am a real Unix newbie. I am taking a course on it in University. I kind of understand set and setenv but, I think it si something that I should really understand. So I thought that I would try a forum out and see how good you guys really are. The question: Execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w6u6f
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What 's setenv?

Hi Is someone know about "setenv"? where can i find out this one? Regards Myoe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myoeminn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

setenv in script

Is it possible to set environement variable in a script (for example, perl script) so that the variable will be set after exiting the script - in a father shell. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kosta_mirkin
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

setenv error

I am having the following environment setup script. $cat dbenv.sh #! /bin/csh # set history=32 stty sane setenv ORACLE_HOME=/dboracle/orabase/product/10.1.0.3 set ORACLE_BASE=/dboracle/orabase set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats setenv in unix

Hi whats the setenv command in unix..?? i have set the oracle_home path as aa.ii.1 in kron_settings and mentioned setenv oracle_path as aa.ii.2 in user settings. Does this make any changes made to the path name of the oracle_home when i run a scripts in unix..???:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

9. Solaris

setenv: cannot add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi all! I need to add new environment variable. e.g. # setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/usr/ucblib:" # I check:# env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ucblib: After rebooting I don't see this variable. Why don't save this variable? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cshell setenv: Too many arguments.

i have in c-shell set value_str ="one three" set line_seprator = "," set value_and_sperator = "$value_str$line_seprator" setenv STRING_CONCAT $STRING_CONCAT$value_and_sperator and im getting error: setenv: Too many arguments. this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
VFORK(2)							System Calls Manual							  VFORK(2)

NAME
vfork - spawn new process in a virtual memory efficient way SYNOPSIS
pid = vfork() int pid; DESCRIPTION
Vfork can be used to create new processes without fully copying the address space of the old process, which is horrendously inefficient in a paged environment. It is useful when the purpose of fork(2) would have been to create a new system context for an execve. Vfork differs from fork in that the child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to execve(2) or an exit (either by a call to exit(2) or abnormally.) The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. Vfork returns 0 in the child's context and (later) the pid of the child in the parent's context. Vfork can normally be used just like fork. It does not work, however, to return while running in the childs context from the procedure that called vfork since the eventual return from vfork would then return to a no longer existent stack frame. Be careful, also, to call _exit rather than exit if you can't execve, since exit will flush and close standard I/O channels, and thereby mess up the parent processes standard I/O data structures. (Even with fork it is wrong to call exit since buffered data would then be flushed twice.) SEE ALSO
fork(2), execve(2), sigvec(2), wait(2), DIAGNOSTICS
Same as for fork. BUGS
This system call will be eliminated when proper system sharing mechanisms are implemented. Users should not depend on the memory sharing semantics of vfork as it will, in that case, be made synonymous to fork. To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes that are children in the middle of a vfork are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals; rather, output or ioctls are allowed and input attempts result in an end-of-file indication. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 30, 1985 VFORK(2)