Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setenv.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setenv. Post 302265277 by Franklin52 on Saturday 6th of December 2008 09:46:38 AM
Old 12-06-2008
The system function runs the command in a subshell (child) and parent shells don't inherit variables of childs.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setenv Question

I want to add paths to a CLASSPATH variable but if I use the : setenv CLASSPATH /opt all previous entries are erased. How do I append additional entries to a system variable without overwriting the original value. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set, setenv

Well first of all I am a real Unix newbie. I am taking a course on it in University. I kind of understand set and setenv but, I think it si something that I should really understand. So I thought that I would try a forum out and see how good you guys really are. The question: Execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w6u6f
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What 's setenv?

Hi Is someone know about "setenv"? where can i find out this one? Regards Myoe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myoeminn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

setenv in script

Is it possible to set environement variable in a script (for example, perl script) so that the variable will be set after exiting the script - in a father shell. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kosta_mirkin
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between EXPORT and setenv

Hi, Is there any difference between setting an environment variable by EXPORT and by setenv? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexkid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

setenv error

I am having the following environment setup script. $cat dbenv.sh #! /bin/csh # set history=32 stty sane setenv ORACLE_HOME=/dboracle/orabase/product/10.1.0.3 set ORACLE_BASE=/dboracle/orabase set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats setenv in unix

Hi whats the setenv command in unix..?? i have set the oracle_home path as aa.ii.1 in kron_settings and mentioned setenv oracle_path as aa.ii.2 in user settings. Does this make any changes made to the path name of the oracle_home when i run a scripts in unix..???:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

9. Solaris

setenv: cannot add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi all! I need to add new environment variable. e.g. # setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/usr/ucblib:" # I check:# env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ucblib: After rebooting I don't see this variable. Why don't save this variable? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cshell setenv: Too many arguments.

i have in c-shell set value_str ="one three" set line_seprator = "," set value_and_sperator = "$value_str$line_seprator" setenv STRING_CONCAT $STRING_CONCAT$value_and_sperator and im getting error: setenv: Too many arguments. this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
FORK(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a child process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork() creates a new process by duplicating the calling process. The new process, referred to as the child, is an exact duplicate of the calling process, referred to as the parent, except for the following points: * The child has its own unique process ID, and this PID does not match the ID of any existing process group (setpgid(2)). * The child's parent process ID is the same as the parent's process ID. * The child does not inherit its parent's memory locks (mlock(2), mlockall(2)). * Process resource utilizations (getrusage(2)) and CPU time counters (times(2)) are reset to zero in the child. * The child's set of pending signals is initially empty (sigpending(2)). * The child does not inherit semaphore adjustments from its parent (semop(2)). * The child does not inherit record locks from its parent (fcntl(2)). * The child does not inherit timers from its parent (setitimer(2), alarm(2), timer_create(2)). * The child does not inherit outstanding asynchronous I/O operations from its parent (aio_read(3), aio_write(3)), nor does it inherit any asynchronous I/O contexts from its parent (see io_setup(2)). The process attributes in the preceding list are all specified in POSIX.1-2001. The parent and child also differ with respect to the fol- lowing Linux-specific process attributes: * The child does not inherit directory change notifications (dnotify) from its parent (see the description of F_NOTIFY in fcntl(2)). * The prctl(2) PR_SET_PDEATHSIG setting is reset so that the child does not receive a signal when its parent terminates. * Memory mappings that have been marked with the madvise(2) MADV_DONTFORK flag are not inherited across a fork(). * The termination signal of the child is always SIGCHLD (see clone(2)). Note the following further points: * The child process is created with a single thread -- the one that called fork(). The entire virtual address space of the parent is replicated in the child, including the states of mutexes, condition variables, and other pthreads objects; the use of pthread_atfork(3) may be helpful for dealing with problems that this can cause. * The child inherits copies of the parent's set of open file descriptors. Each file descriptor in the child refers to the same open file description (see open(2)) as the corresponding file descriptor in the parent. This means that the two descriptors share open file sta- tus flags, current file offset, and signal-driven I/O attributes (see the description of F_SETOWN and F_SETSIG in fcntl(2)). * The child inherits copies of the parent's set of open message queue descriptors (see mq_overview(7)). Each descriptor in the child refers to the same open message queue description as the corresponding descriptor in the parent. This means that the two descriptors share the same flags (mq_flags). * The child inherits copies of the parent's set of open directory streams (see opendir(3)). POSIX.1-2001 says that the corresponding directory streams in the parent and child may share the directory stream positioning; on Linux/glibc they do not. RETURN VALUE
On success, the PID of the child process is returned in the parent, and 0 is returned in the child. On failure, -1 is returned in the par- ent, no child process is created, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN fork() cannot allocate sufficient memory to copy the parent's page tables and allocate a task structure for the child. EAGAIN It was not possible to create a new process because the caller's RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit was encountered. To exceed this limit, the process must have either the CAP_SYS_ADMIN or the CAP_SYS_RESOURCE capability. ENOMEM fork() failed to allocate the necessary kernel structures because memory is tight. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Under Linux, fork() is implemented using copy-on-write pages, so the only penalty that it incurs is the time and memory required to dupli- cate the parent's page tables, and to create a unique task structure for the child. Since version 2.3.3, rather than invoking the kernel's fork() system call, the glibc fork() wrapper that is provided as part of the NPTL threading implementation invokes clone(2) with flags that provide the same effect as the traditional system call. The glibc wrapper invokes any fork handlers that have been established using pthread_atfork(3). EXAMPLE
See pipe(2) and wait(2). SEE ALSO
clone(2), execve(2), setrlimit(2), unshare(2), vfork(2), wait(2), daemon(3), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-04-27 FORK(2)