Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting list quantity of files by file types Post 302264341 by dorcas on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 04:33:27 PM
Old 12-03-2008
list quantity of files by file types

I'm trying to create a simple file inventory for a series of huge directories containing e-records. What I'm after is a list of all directories and sub-directories with just the number of each type of file in that directory/sub-directory. For example output would look like:
\home\erecords\unit5007b (45 gif, 78 jpg, 666 doc)

I'm fiddling with some java programs I found that are a bit overkill - validating file-types outputting xml etc. I really just need number of files by file type. Any Unix tools out there that will get me closer to this goal?
Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directory with 2 types of files

Trying to use the find command to find any directory which contains a file ending in .zip AND a file ending in .o I'm having trouble specifying multiple files as criteria and have can't seem to figure it out from Unix in a Nutshell and Google. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

selection of files based on its types

Daily we are getting some datafiles to our unix server location FTPIN. Incoming File names will be present in the location "/xyz/test/" as below: "infile_A1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_A2_YYYYMMDD", "infile_B1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_C1_YYYYMMDD" "infile_C2_YYYYMMDD" Where A, B and C are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with quantity

Hello, is there a way to find a list of all files in my folder that have 5 instances of the symbol | ?? grep "|" *.* would give me all files that have one isntance of | Is there a way to modify this to find files with 5 or more instances of the symbol ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove two types of files from a directory

Hi All, i need to move two types of files from a directory. I have used the below command to find the files from the directory.. SOURCE_DIR="some directory path" TARGET_DIR="Target Dir" Datestamp=Date_format find $SOURCE_DIR \( -name "*.log" -o -name "*.out" ) - exec ls -1 {} \; now i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file types

Hello everyone - I have a task of listing files from a directory together with their type. I tried using ls -l | file -b or different versions of that but that did not work. I will need this to be in a C shell script that will list the file name, size and type from a directory. I can do... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianvas12
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive grep with only certain types of files

Can I please have some ideas on how to do a recursive grep with certain types of files? The file types I want to use are *.c and *.java. I know this normally works with all files. grep -riI 'scanner' /home/bob/ 2>/dev/null Just not sure how to get it to work *.c and *.java files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting total files with different file types in each folder

Trying to count total files with different file types with thousands of files in each folder. Since some files do not have extensions I have to use below criteria. Count Total Files starting with --> "^ERROR" Count Total Files starting with --> "^Runtime" Count Everything else or files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies
LOCATE.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    LOCATE.CONF(5)

NAME
locate.conf -- locate database configuration file DESCRIPTION
The locate.conf file specifies the behavior of locate.updatedb(8), which creates the locate(1) database. The locate.conf file contains a list of newline separated records, each of which is composed of a keyword and arguments, which are separated by white space. Arguments with embedded shell metacharacters must be quoted in sh(1) style. Lines beginning with ``#'' are treated as com- ments and ignored. However, a ``#'' in the middle of a line does not start a comment. The configuration options are as follows: ignore pattern ... Ignore files or directories. When building the database, do not descend into files or directories which match one of the specified patterns. The matched files or directories are not stored to the database. Default: Not specified. ignorecontents pattern ... Ignore contents of directories. When building the database, do not descend into files or directories which match one of the speci- fied patterns. The matched files or directories themselves are stored to the database. Default: Not specified. ignorefs type ... Ignore file system by type, adding type to the default list. When building the database, do not descend into file systems which are of the specified type. The mount points are not stored to the database. If a ``!'' is prepended to type, the meaning is negated, that is, ignore file systems which do not have the type. As a special case, if ``none'' is specified for type, the ignorefs list is cleared and all file systems are traversed. type is used as an argument to find(1) -fstype. The sysctl(8) command can be used to find out the types of file systems that are available on the system: sysctl vfs.generic.fstypes Default: !local cd9660 fdesc kernfs procfs searchpath directory ... Specify base directories to be put in the database. Default: / workdir directory Specify the working directory of locate.updatedb, in which a temporary file is placed. The temporary file is a list of all files, and you should specify a directory that has enough space to hold it. Default: /tmp Refer to find(1) for the details of pattern (see -path expression) and type (see -fstype expression). FILES
/etc/locate.conf The file locate.conf resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), locate.updatedb(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The locate.conf file format first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
ITOH Yasufumi BSD
July 10, 2011 BSD