Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing a script while running Post 302264099 by chebarbudo on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 06:06:34 AM
Old 12-03-2008
Question replacing a script while running

Hi there,

How can I run a script being sure that it runs all the way to the end even if the source file is deleted or replaced while running?
Actually, I have a script that runs daily on several servers. It replaces local files by updates from a master server. But I'd like it to replace itself too if an update is found on the master server.

Here is an example of what happens if a script is replaced while running:
Code:
~# cat script
echo statement 1
cp $0.update $0
echo statement 2
~# cat script.update
echo statement 3
cp $0.update $0
echo statement 4
~# bash script
statement 1
statement 4

How can I make sure the script runs entirely even if replaced while running?
1) The replacement file should not run immediately, this update will run the next day.
2) I would prefer not to have to create temporary files.
3) Although it would be a simple solution, it's hard for me to wait until the end of the script to do the replacement because other tasks run after files are updated.

Thanks in advance
Santiago

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Replacing tape drive in RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1?

I've just landed in a situation where an old IBM RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1 has had it's tape drive fail. The tape drive in question is an HP C1533A 4mm 4GB/8GB DAT drive. It repeatedly gets write failures, and my trusty techique of whacking the cleaning tape in hasn't worked. Unfortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaedrus
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing parameter in shell script

I have a script file as below named test1.sh sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$1/g' template1.asp > template1.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$2/g' template2.asp > template2.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$3/g' template3.asp > template3.txt sed -e 's/xxxkeys/$4/g' template4.asp > template4.txt I want to replace $1 with a,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satgur
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with replacing using script

Hi, I'm using MKS tool kit to execute a unix script on windows.I'm trying to replace a word in a file. I'm using sed 's/word/$replaceword/g' $OutputFile This is not working.Please advice where i'm wrong. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for replacing 2 strings

Hi I have written a script for automating a program. There is a string in 2 lines that needs altering from input. The 2 lines are: prepare_flexreceptor4.py -r rec_rigid.pdbqt -s TYR119_TRP312 -x rec_flex.pdbqt and prepare_flexdocking4.py -l ind.pdbqt -r rec_flex.pdbqt -s TYR119_TRP312... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav2251
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing variable value in perl script

hi I have this line in my perl script if (($cookie =~ /^cookie(.*)\/(.*)/) && ($ !~ /^cookie(10)\/(.*)|/)) { $cookienumber = "$1.$2"; } now if the result is cookie1/0, my $cookienumber would be 1.0 but if the result is cookie1/0/0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the ipaddress using script

Hi all , I have written the script but the ip address is not getting replaced correct me i ima wrong #!/bin/bash echo "enetr ip" read $a echo $a b=`grep -o '\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}' /usr/local/kalyan/mysqlup.sh` echo "$b" sed -i 's/'$b'/'$a'/g' /usr/local/kalyan/mysqlup.sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script [Replacing string]

My friend and I are working on a project together and we are trying to create a shell script that renames, replaces a string in a text file. The newly created file with the substitution would replace the name of the original file. And the original file would be saved as "____.txt.bak" This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzhang172
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script replacing * with name of file

Hi Guys, I am new to bash and I can't figure this one out. OS: SunOS I have a file: myfile A cat of myfile shows it to contain: one * two The shell is as following: FILE="path/myfile" RESULT=$(cat "$FILE"|grep one) echo $RESULT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foxpaws
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)