Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: appending data to file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting appending data to file Post 302262148 by Enigma08 on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 01:01:04 PM
Old 11-26-2008
appending data to file

Hi.

I wrote a very simple script and it doesn't work Smilie
It is supposed to go to a certain directory, execute some command and append the output to the file "expo.dat"

what it does is that it writes to the file only one entery. I dont know if Im using the write synthax for "append". Here is the code

Code:
directory= /Desktop
file=$directory/list.dat

echo $file
while read listID
do
cd $directory/$listID
some-command >>expo.dat
done < $file

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on appending data to existing data

I need to know how to record the hostname, date/time and all of the process and send it all to one file. I know that the commands I need are hostname, date and ps but I don't know how to do them all and send them all to the same file. Please help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: precious51980
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data at the first and last line of a file

Hi, Am trying to write a shell script which will append a header and a footer to an existing file. Header will contain details like the current date while the footer will contain the no: of records listed in the file. I know we can use the CAT command, but i have no clue abt the syntax to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brainstormer
4 Replies

3. Programming

appending space in binary data in c

Hi ... I am having a string in the buffer .. It is binary data it may contain space . When i try to append a space in using strcpy it is taking the inbetween \n as the end and appending space .. How to append space in the binary data in C ?? please let me know Thanks in advance, Arun. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data into a variable

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to append data into a variable, rather than into a file. Although I can write information into a temporary file in /tmp, I'd rather if possible write into a variable, as I don't like the idea that should my script fail, I'll be polluting the server with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending previous data.

I have on file abc.txt abc.txt: 20090807 Now I want to delete empty lines which has tap/whit spaces from abc.txt .and store the date value in the file into variable.some processs will update the this file with some date . if the process updtes thiis file with empty string , write the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data to the end of a line

I have searched the forms and I can not find info on appending each line of one file to the same line of another file. I know that I can cat one file to another or append the 2nd file to the end of the 1st but not quite sure how to append one line of data to another. For example File 1 has ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scw132
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data to last line of file

A friend contacted me recently with an interesting question. We got something worked out, but I'm curious what answers you all can come up with. Given a shell script (in bash) that processes a bunch of data and appends it to a file, how would you append the date, time, and a filename to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcolmpdx
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data from similar files

I am familiar with scripting, but I am trying to see if there is an easy way to append files from similar files into one file. For example, if there is file1_20121201, file1_20121202, file1_20121203, file2_20121201, file2_20121202, file2_20121203 I want to be able to combine all the data from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrbean1975
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with data appending to a file

Hi I have a file called text.txt contains x y z when i run a command i will get output like below x 20 z 30 i want to insert x, z value in text.txt file and should be like this x 20 y 0 z 30 can anyone help me please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delimiter appending in a data file if we receive a less columns than expected

Required No.of field = 12 Let say you got a “~” delimited input file and this file has 6 input fields and now I want to add 12-5=7 number of “~” into this input file in order to make it 12 fields datafile can have n number of records ex., a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: LJJ
19 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)