Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to delete M-^M characters from a file Post 302260490 by joeyg on Thursday 20th of November 2008 05:17:47 PM
Old 11-20-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver

Take a look at this thread
https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...character.html

Also, search this forum for the dos2unix utility.
DOS uses CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) between rows, while
Unix uses LF only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete not readable characters

Hi All, I wanted to delete all the unwanted characters in the string. ie, to delete all the characters which are not alpha numeric values. var1="a./bc" var2='abc/\."123' like to get the output as print var1 abc print var2 abc123 Could you guys help me out pls. Your help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete characters using a file

Hi All, I have a configuration file (file.cfg) in which data will be like this ; , _ + a to z A to Z Now i have to read a textfile (file.txt) and i need to check whether there is any other character present in text file that is not existing in (file.cfg). If other characters are present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete special characters from the file content

Hello Team, Any one suggest how to delte the below special character from a file which is having one column 10 rows of same below content. ---------------------------------------- Kosten|bersicht gemd_ ' =Welche Kosten kvnnen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to Delete first 10 characters of a file name

Hello Everyone, I need help in deleting first 10 characters from the filename in a directory eg: 1234567890samplefile1.txt 1234567890samplefile2.txt and so on.. need to get the output as samplefile1.txt Thanks in Advance!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD