Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX vmstat, comments and advices needed Post 302260268 by vbe on Thursday 20th of November 2008 03:59:37 AM
Old 11-20-2008
before I give you my 2 cents, what kind of disk subsystem, dual path? size of volume group (approx... (idea of db size..) how many processors (2-4?) and have you some spare space on subsystem...

Forgot: in /etc/fstab how are mounted your FS (especially data) are they all vxfs?

Have you notices the slowdown when running batches (vs oltp... e.g. is it when big jobs are running, compared to many users doing queries...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstat

Hi, what does mean the free colomne in out put of vmstat ? is it free espace of physical memory or of swap space on hard disk ? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

need advices on install/configure amanda on solaris 10

i would like to have advices on how to install/configure amanda on solaris 10. thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: conandor
1 Replies

3. Linux

vmstat help

Hi everyone, I need to see some VM manager performance/behavior information on some Linux boxes regarding pages scanned/activation of the paging algorithm in order to get an idea if a given server needs more memory and is actually paging. In Aix servers, by using the vmstat cmd you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcpetela
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat

Hi I need to write a script to display VMSTAT every 5 seconds and I just need the memory columns - swap free re and just the numbers and the headers arent required. For example bash-3.00$ vmstat 5| awk '{print $4" "$5" "$6}' disk faults cpu ------ This header isnt required swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advices on scripting for remote servers

Hi guys, I need some advice and recommendations for a work project I am doing. Let me state that security is not a concern as this is a closed network and the data is not sensitive. Here's what I would like to do and how I was planning to accomplish it: I have an application on my remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blueicedrop2000
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Linux Storage system: looking for advices

Gidday! I'd like to setup a storage server for a friend of mine (he is a hobby photographer, and he produces about 100Gb pictures monthly). My friend has the following PC-Server-like system: AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4850e. ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI motherboard with 6 SATA connectors. 3Gb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
7 Replies

8. Programming

Need some advices how to increse accuracy of the algorithm

Hi guys :D Can you raccomand some what I can do to increse accuracy of the Newton-Raphons method. It's not very accurate. // Implementation of Newton - Raphson method for // determination square root od positive number // Date: 10. april 2011 // Author: Solaris_user // Solution for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Want to learn Shell well.. Advices

Hi everyone.. Thanks a lot for reading this post. I am trying to learn shell and Unix well. I am taking course at UNT school, unfortunately, the professor doesn't explain well. I am trying to take an advantage of this course and learn as much as I could. I learn by myself.. read the book... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smasm9
1 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat - Report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-n] [delay [ count]] vmstat[-V] DESCRIPTION
vmstat reports information about processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, and cpu activity. The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot. Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay. The process and memory reports are instantaneous in either case. Options The -n switch causes the header to be displayed only once rather than periodically. delay is the delay between updates in seconds. If no delay is specified, only one report is printed with the average values since boot. count is the number of updates. If no count is specified and delay is defined, count defaults to infinity. The -V switch results in displaying version information. FIELD DESCRIPTIONS
Procs r: The number of processes waiting for run time. b: The number of processes in uninterruptable sleep. w: The number of processes swapped out but otherwise runnable. This field is calculated, but Linux never desperation swaps. Memory swpd: the amount of virtual memory used (kB). free: the amount of idle memory (kB). buff: the amount of memory used as buffers (kB). Swap si: Amount of memory swapped in from disk (kB/s). so: Amount of memory swapped to disk (kB/s). IO bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s). bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s). System in: The number of interrupts per second, including the clock. cs: The number of context switches per second. CPU These are percentages of total CPU time. us: user time sy: system time id: idle time NOTES
vmstat does not require special permissions. These reports are intended to help identify system bottlenecks. Linux vmstat does not count itself as a running process. All linux blocks are currently 1k, except for CD-ROM blocks which are 2k. FILES
/proc/meminfo /proc/stat /proc/*/stat SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1) BUGS
Does not tabulate the block io per device or count the number of system calls. AUTHOR
Written by Henry Ware <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>. Throatwobbler Ginkgo Labs 27 July 1994 VMSTAT(8)