Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can i use Variables in sed command in line numbers Post 302260241 by bezudar on Thursday 20th of November 2008 02:03:34 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Can i use Variables in sed command in line numbers

I wish to give line number from one point to another in sed command like this
sed -n 1,1000000p file1.txt >file2.txt
but variable line number $x,$x+100000 can i give it cos i tried and it was giving an error any suggestions?/
Thx in advance
AC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command: To Parse Stament between 2 numbers

Hi, I need an awk command that would parse the below expression Input Format 1 'Stmt1 ............................'2 'Stmt2 ............................'3 'Stmt3 ............................'4 'Stmt4 ............................'5 'Stmt5 ............................'6 'Stmt6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

3. AIX

insert a line with variables using sed

Hi, I have to insert a line having variables using sed. But the variables are not getting substituted within sed. Ex: n=2 sed $n' i\ hi' file This works. But the below code does not work. n=2 line=hello sed $n' i\ $line' file The above code inserts '$line' in the 2nd line of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command, look for numbers following letters

If I have a set of strings, C21 F231 H42 1C10 1F113 and I want to isolate the ints following the char, what would the sed string be to find numbers after letters? If I do, *, I will get numbers after letters, but I am looking to do something like, sed 's/*/\t*/g' this will give me... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
14 Replies

6. Solaris

sed print range alongwith line numbers.

hi working with sed in a shell script using sed to print a range of lines from a given file for example to print lines 12-24 from a file sed 12,24p <filename> however i need to print the line numbers, alongwith the actual lines would this be possible at all? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xinuuser
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed command to display contents where line numbers are stored in variables

if i want to display the contents of a file between say line number 3 and 10 then i use the following command sed -n '3,10p' filename if this 3 was contained in x and 10 was contained in y then how wud this command modified? sed -n '$x,$yp' filename does not work..please advise (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern fails to delete line of numbers

We are using Red Hat Linux. I have a flat file with among other things, the following lines, which appear occasionally throughout the file: Using sed, I delete this line: L;L;L;L;R;R;R;L;R;L;R;R;R;L;L;L With: /^;;;;;*/d Works fine every time. However, I cannot delete... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloomlock
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to show even numbers and the line

Hello, I have an assignment that requires us to use sed only. The first part of the assignment says to use a sed script to print only the even lines, but if it is print, the number of that lines needs to be printed before the text. ex: 2 line 2 text 4 line 4 text 6 line 6 text ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevent518
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about using variables of float numbers in sed

Hi, I need to run a Fortran program which reads a input file with a fixed name many times, each time I need to change a number (real) in that input file, this is how I currently do it and I know it is not elegent at all: cp inputfile.dat backup.dat sed -i 's/28.0/0.01/g' inputfile.dat ./myCode... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dypang
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)