Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Any idea what this counter means "tcpTimRetrans" Post 302259369 by zaxxon on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 12:36:54 AM
Old 11-18-2008
You should read those links carefully... as example from the second link I've posted:

Quote:
We can get a better idea of the traffic levels by looking at the TCP throughput counters. The outgoing data is divided into segments, where each segment corresponds to an Ethernet packet. Delivery of a segment is acknowledged by the other end. If no acknowledgment is received the segment is retransmitted.
The reader will assume that if that happens, the "tcpTimRetrans" counter will increase by one at least. And also there is mentioned "segment". So since this counts for both cases, it seems both counters increase by 1 in parallel if that happens.
In short terms, there was some network / TCP/IP trouble and it tried to retransmit it's packets/segements until it were accomplished or some packets were dropped/discarded. If this count is increasing all the time when monitoring it, maybe you should check the hosts configuration or that of the hosts it is talking with.
At least this would be my guess.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is it Bad Idea to insert "." (Dot) to PATH ?

I was told that it's a Bad Idea (especially for root ) to Add To the Variable $PATH in unix the ":." (dot), In order to execute programs in my current directory without typing ./program For example: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:. Does someone know why is it a Bad Idea? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbern
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idea for an "informative" bash alias or script

I had the idea come into my head that it would be good to have a single command that gave file type, file size, last modification date, and owner/group information, like what one would see in a GUI "Properties" dialog, but all in a terminal window. In my opinion, these statistics about a file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file "pax_global_header" means what?

I'm using Red Hat 9.0, the kernel is 2.4.20-8, I want to update the kernel , go to www.kernel.org and then download the linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2 to /root # ll total 88576 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1057 Dec 1 03:23 anaconda-ks.cfg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13205 Dec ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What does "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET

Ok so I have searched google pretty exstensively to find this out, no luck so far . . . Basically I wanted to know what "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET. I was thinking that Eris is generally to do with discordianism, but have so far only found it as a reference to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What does "__FD_PRN_" means in perl code ?

I have seen something like this in a perl code: $_ =~ s/__FD_PRN_/\\(/g What does this "__FD_PRN_" means. I have searched google but was not able to find any info regarding this. Appreciate if some one can refer to a link for these characters. From comments/code it used to substitue "(" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Means to check if some process is running on "n" number of machines

Team, I would like to know, if we have any command in Solaris to verify, if some process is listening on a port on a set of machines. for eg: Wrote the below script, and found that when a process is listening on that port, then it just waits there and doesnt come out. Rather, I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
SYNCACHE(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       SYNCACHE(4)

NAME
syncache, syncookies -- sysctl(8) MIBs for controlling TCP SYN caching SYNOPSIS
sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncookies sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncookies_only sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache.hashsize sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache.bucketlimit sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache.cachelimit sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache.rexmtlimit sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache.count DESCRIPTION
The syncache sysctl(8) MIB is used to control the TCP SYN caching in the system, which is intended to handle SYN flood Denial of Service attacks. When a TCP SYN segment is received on a port corresponding to a listen socket, an entry is made in the syncache, and a SYN,ACK segment is returned to the peer. The syncache entry holds the TCP options from the initial SYN, enough state to perform a SYN,ACK retransmission, and takes up less space than a TCP control block endpoint. An incoming segment which contains an ACK for the SYN,ACK and matches a syncache entry will cause the system to create a TCP control block with the options stored in the syncache entry, which is then released. The syncache protects the system from SYN flood DoS attacks by minimizing the amount of state kept on the server, and by limiting the overall size of the syncache. Syncookies provides a way to virtually expand the size of the syncache by keeping state regarding the initial SYN in the network. Enabling syncookies sends a cryptographic value in the SYN,ACK reply to the client machine, which is then returned in the client's ACK. If the corre- sponding entry is not found in the syncache, but the value passes specific security checks, the connection will be accepted. This is only used if the syncache is unable to handle the volume of incoming connections, and a prior entry has been evicted from the cache. Syncookies have a certain number of disadvantages that a paranoid administrator may wish to take note of. Since the TCP options from the initial SYN are not saved, they are not applied to the connection, precluding use of features like window scale, timestamps, or exact MSS sizing. As the returning ACK establishes the connection, it may be possible for an attacker to ACK flood a machine in an attempt to create a connection. While steps have been taken to mitigate this risk, this may provide a way to bypass firewalls which filter incoming segments with the SYN bit set. To disable the syncache and run only with syncookies, set net.inet.tcp.syncookies_only to 1. The syncache implements a number of variables in the net.inet.tcp.syncache branch of the sysctl(3) MIB. Several of these may be tuned by setting the corresponding variable in the loader(8). hashsize Size of the syncache hash table, must be a power of 2. Read-only, tunable via loader(8). bucketlimit Limit on the number of entries permitted in each bucket of the hash table. This should be left at a low value to minimize search time. Read-only, tunable via loader(8). cachelimit Limit on the total number of entries in the syncache. Defaults to (hashsize x bucketlimit), may be set lower to minimize memory consumption. Read-only, tunable via loader(8). rexmtlimit Maximum number of times a SYN,ACK is retransmitted before being discarded. The default of 3 retransmits corresponds to a 45 second timeout, this value may be increased depending on the RTT to client machines. Tunable via sysctl(3). count Number of entries present in the syncache (read-only). Statistics on the performance of the syncache may be obtained via netstat(1), which provides the following counts: syncache entries added Entries successfully inserted in the syncache. retransmitted SYN,ACK retransmissions due to a timeout expiring. dupsyn Incoming SYN segment matching an existing entry. dropped SYNs dropped because SYN,ACK could not be sent. completed Successfully completed connections. bucket overflow Entries dropped for exceeding per-bucket size. cache overflow Entries dropped for exceeding overall cache size. reset RST segment received. stale Entries dropped due to maximum retransmissions or listen socket disappearance. aborted New socket allocation failures. badack Entries dropped due to bad ACK reply. unreach Entries dropped due to ICMP unreachable messages. zone failures Failures to allocate new syncache entry. cookies received Connections created from segment containing ACK. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), tcp(4), loader(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The existing syncache implementation first appeared in FreeBSD 4.5. The original concept of a syncache originally appeared in BSD/OS, and was later modified by NetBSD, then further extended here. AUTHORS
The syncache code and manual page were written by Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
January 22, 2008 BSD