Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntax error: `-a' unexpected operator/operand in IF Post 302258433 by Ikon on Friday 14th of November 2008 02:39:29 PM
Old 11-14-2008
Are numbers equal, not equal, greater than, etc.?
-eq, -ne, -gt, ...

Are strings the same or different?
=, !=

Try
Code:
if [[ $audit_ftpsize = $audit_lsize && $details_ftpsize = $details_lsize && $summary_ftpsize = $summary_lsize ]]; then

Last edited by Ikon; 11-14-2008 at 04:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh: syntax error: `...' unexpected???

Hello all, I want to create a script that polls every hour a directory for the existence of a file. The file I look for is a `token` dropped by an external process at the completion of a successful FTP process. I wrote this script `checkfile.ksh`: #!/usr/bin/ksh if ] then mailx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `$' unexpected

Hi all, Am very new to Unix and am currently Involved in Migrating some Shell Scripts from AIX 4 to Solaris 10. While using teh for loop am getting the below error: $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh $ for file in $(ls *SEBE*) syntax error: `$' unexpected while the same works without issue on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkhanore
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to avoid 'unexpected operator' error when comparing 2 strings

this is my file: #!/bin/sh a=`cat /home/$USER/Desktop/lol` c=`cat /home/$USER/Desktop/lol1` if ; then echo "$a = $c" else echo "They are not equal" fi The lol file contains 1aa and the lol1 file contains 1aa as well. Unfortunately the output is Even when I put -eq instead of == I get ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator

hi, i have a bash script that i want to receive a a string from another bash file. But because the string has a dot in the middle it gives me an error. The error is in this line: let valor=$1 and the value passed is rules.txt the error is: let: valor=rules.txt: syntax error: invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

> 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " error

im kinda new to shell scripting so i need some help i try to run this script and get the error code > 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " the code for the script is #!/bin/sh # # script to see if the given value is correct # # Define errors ER_AF=86 # Var is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment operator without operand

Does anyone know how this line in bash works? local gotbase= force= nicelevel corelimit local pid base= user= nice= bg= pid_file= local cgroup= These lines are part of the daemon function inside the "functions" file at /etc/init.d in RH. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: 'fi' unexpected

unzip file.zip if ] ; then echo "Success" else echo "Some failure." fi ; I tried many time to detect the unzip error, but it keep show the syntax error wherever how I change the syntac. Hope someone can help me fix the issue, thanks. Please use code tags next time for your code and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: duncanyy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting syntax error with awk ternary operator

split($7,a," "); date = a; time = a split(date,d,"/"); month = sprintf("%02d",d); day = sprintf("%02d",d); year = 2000 + d % 100 split(time,t,":"); hour=t; min=t hour >= 12? { hour=hour-12; amPm=" PM" } : amPM=" AM" hour == 0? hour=12 time=sprintf("%02d",hour)":"sprintf("%02d",min)amPm ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question: modulo operator with negative operand, bug or feature?

Hi, I'm new to the Ash shell so my apologies if this is well known. In normal maths and other shells and languages I've used, the modulo operator always returns a positive remainder. For example see this discussion (first post so I can't hyperlink it): ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: FleetFoot
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: `]' unexpected

I am getting this error Syntax error: `]' unexpected. Did I do something wrong with elif? Does ksh not like double brackets? if ]; then #echo hi source ~/.bashrc; elif ]; then #echo hi source ~/.kshrc; fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
STRVERSCMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     STRVERSCMP(3)

NAME
strverscmp - compare two version strings SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <string.h> int strverscmp(const char *s1, const char *s2); DESCRIPTION
Often one has files jan1, jan2, ..., jan9, jan10, ... and it feels wrong when ls orders them jan1, jan10, ..., jan2, ..., jan9. In order to rectify this, GNU introduced the -v option to ls(1), which is implemented using versionsort(3), which again uses strverscmp. Thus, the task of strverscmp is to compare two strings and find the "right" order, while strcmp only finds the lexicographic order. This function does not use the locale category LC_COLLATE, so is meant mostly for situations where the strings are expected to be in ASCII. What this function does is the following. If both strings are equal, return 0. Otherwise find the position between two bytes with the property that before it both strings are equal, while directly after it there is a difference. Find the largest consecutive digit strings containing (or starting at, or ending at) this position. If one or both of these is empty, then return what strcmp would have returned (numerical ordering of byte values). Otherwise, compare both digit strings numerically, where digit strings with one or more leading zeroes are interpreted as if they have a decimal point in front (so that in particular digit strings with more leading zeroes come before digit strings with fewer leading zeroes). Thus, the ordering is 000, 00, 01, 010, 09, 0, 1, 9, 10. RETURN VALUE
The strverscmp() function returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if s1 is found, respectively, to be earlier than, equal to, or later than s2. CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. SEE ALSO
rename(1), strcasecmp(3), strcmp(3), strcoll(3) GNU
2001-12-19 STRVERSCMP(3)