Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 name resolution question Post 302258201 by Diabolist on Friday 14th of November 2008 03:03:58 AM
Old 11-14-2008
You do need to stop nscd. Else, by default, ping will connect to the same host for an hour (regardless of TTL).

DNS round robin is, for lack of a better description, poor mans load balancing. It will not protect you from a host failure.

It would be better to do a `ping -s ldaptest`. That way when you ^C, it'll tell you what IP it's trying to hit. Also, wait at least 5 seconds between pings, and attempt it at least 10 times. That should give you enough host queries to flip between the two IPs.

Last edited by Diabolist; 11-14-2008 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: Misread quote

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 2.6 question

How do I define a default gateway on a Solaris 2.6 Server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Resolution..??

When i start my pc after the installation of suse linux it ask me for resolution but not for graphical interface, for console, can i run a command to change it again? Thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux_fan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 Desktop resolution

I have a problem with solaris 10 desktop resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. I want to boot in troubleshooting mode to change this resolution for the root user. Or all users. What is the configuration script. ex: .dtconfig/Xconfig (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Someone's got to know... Screen resolution question.

Hi all, Someone please help, I have a machine running Sun Solaris 5.8. X used to run fine, not it can't start. (possible user intervention) It looks to be trying to run at 1280x1024. I don't think the hardware will support it, it seems high. Anyways, how from the commandline, via ssh, can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

Name Resolution between Solaris and Windows

Hello. I have been working on an issue I hope someone can help me out with. I have a small network with an NT4 Server, 15 Win2K PC, and four Unix workstations. I am having problems resolving the name of one of the workstations from the server and PC's. I am attacking this issue from both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: medmonson
4 Replies

6. Solaris

screen resolution

how to change screen resolution in CDE prompt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Screen Resolution problem on Ultra 10 with Solaris 10

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 10 (SPARC) with Solaris 10 installed. The screen resolution is very poor and grainy which I have been unable to rectify. Every time I try to set the resolution I get the following: 'The XServer does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
5 Replies

8. Solaris

A Solaris Question

hi.. I have a question because there are files on Solaris and will not let me change the root user is the owner. excuse is that I come from a Linux environment and I like to learn Solaris thank (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cejodrake
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Question with Solaris Crash Analysis Tool with Solaris 9

Hello all. I am new hear and would like to ask a question regarding to the Solaris Crash Analysis Tool. We are analyzing the results of "thread summary" but not quite sure what the asterisk represents. Following are the items that asterisk were attached. 50* threads sleeping on a semaphore (49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YuW
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Changing dpi screen resolution in Solaris 10.

Hi, everyone! I would like to try OpenStep for Solaris on my Sun Ultra 10 machine, so I installed all required packages, the problem is that OpenStep requires screen DPI to be set to 72x72 while my current dpi is 90x90. So how do I change the dpi? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nongrato
0 Replies
nscd(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   nscd(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/nscd - name service cache daemon DESCRIPTION
Nscd is a daemon that provides a cache for the most common name service requests. The default configuration file, /etc/nscd.conf, deter- mines the behavior of the cache daemon. See nscd.conf(5). Nscd provides cacheing for the passwd(5), group(5), and hosts(5) databases through standard libc interfaces, such as getpwnam(3), getp- wuid(3), getgrnam(3), getgrgid(3), gethostbyname(3), and others. Each cache has a separate TTL (time-to-live) for its data; modifying the local database (/etc/passwd, and so forth) causes the cache to become invalidated within fifteen seconds. Note that the shadow file is specifically not cached. getspnam(3) calls remain uncached as a result. OPTIONS
--help will give you a list with all options and what they do. NOTES
Nscd doesn't know anything about the underlaying protocols for a service. This also means, that if you change /etc/resolv.conf for DNS queries, nscd will continue to use the old one if you have configured /etc/nsswitch.conf to use DNS for host lookups. In such a case, you need to restart nscd. SEE ALSO
nscd.conf(5), nsswitch.conf(5) AUTHOR
nscd was written by Thorsten Kukuk and Ulrich Drepper. GNU C Library 1999-10 nscd(8)