Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers matching each line in a column to an array Post 302256827 by greptastic on Monday 10th of November 2008 04:22:46 PM
Old 11-10-2008
matching each line in a column to an array

Hi,

I have two files:

file 1 has a list :

ABC_1024
ABC_4507
ABC_5589
ERT_4389
DDB_5507

file 2 has an array:

ABC_1011,ABC_1024,ABC_5670 DDB_4567 ERT_2345 January08
ABC_9099 DDB_9087 ERT_4567 March07

I need to go line by line in file 1 and match each entry to file 2. If there is a match like ABC_1024 then I need to output the whole line that matches from file 2. So my output would be:

ABC_1011,ABC_1024,ABC_5670 DDB_4567 ERT_2345 January08

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl array matching between area code and no.

Hi Everyone, I have: my @No=qw(032106 032630 0380 034010 035110 0354801111); my $str_No=join(';', @No); I have a string $strA="03263033", so in order to determine this $strA area code matches with @No, I can do: if ( (rindex($str_No,substr($strA,0,5))))== -1) ) { print "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching part of a string that is in an array

I am trying to do a comparison to see if these two string arrays match. I have tried assigning the array variable to another variable to get it to work but i can't figure it out. Here is what I have. #example of items that could be in the array #string="TEST"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zatarra777
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: array matching

Hi, I have two files like this file 1: xxtcgtatccgaggga cgcgcgggggagg jjsjjjjsjjjdtcgtat aaaaaaacccaaan ggtcgtatffaadda gggctggalllslllssdkk file 2: tcgtat gctggaI want to 1) match each element of file2 to each element of file1. 2) delete all the matched alphabets and subsequent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1st column,2nd column on first line 3rd,4th on second line ect...

I need to take one column of data and put it into the following format: 1st line,2nd line 3rd line,4th line 5th line,6th line ... Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: batcho
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines above matching line with content from matching

Hi, I have text file: Name: xyz Gender: M Address: "120_B_C; ksilskdj; lsudlfw" Zip: 20392 Name: KLM Gender: F Address: "65_D_F; wnmlsi;lsuod;,...." Zip:90233I want to insert 2 new lines before the 'Address: ' line deriving value from this Address line value The Address value in quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with matching column 1 value, retain only the one with highest value in column 2

I have a file like: I would like to find lines lines with duplicate values in column 1, and retain only one based on two conditions: 1) keep line with highest value in column 3, 2) if column 3 values are equal, retain the line with the highest value in column 4. Desired output: I was able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching column then append to existing File as new column

Good evening I have the below requirements, as I am not an experts in Linux/Unix and am looking for your ideas how I can do this. I have file called file1 and file2. I need to get the second column which is text1_random_alphabets and find that in file 2, if it's exists then print the 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching column value from 2 different file using awk and append value from different column

Hi, I have 2 csv files. a.csv HUAWEI,20LMG011_DEKET_1296_RTN-980_IDU-1-11-ISV3-1(to LAMONGAN_M),East_Java,20LMG011_DEKET_1296_RTN-980_IDU-1,20LMG011,20LMG 027_1287_LAMONGAN_RTN980_IDU1,20LMG027,1+1(HSB),195.675,20LMG011-20LMG027,99.9995,202.6952012... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Value of nth Column of Each Line Using Array

Hello All, I am writing a shell script with following requirement: 1. I have one input file as below CHE01,A,MSC,INO CHE02,B,NST,INC CHE03,C,STM,INP 2. In shell script I have predefined array as below: Array1={A, B, C} Array2= {U09, C04, A054} (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
6 Replies
match(1)                                                        Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                        match(1)

NAME
match - Match strings against glob paterns SYNOPSIS
match [-gilrqs] [-n <n>] [-c cmd] [-x code] {[-p] pattern | -f <file>} str1 [str2 ...] DESCRIPTION
match checks strings against pattern, which should be a shell-like glob pattern. pattern may contain the following special characters: ? A "?" character in pattern matches any single character in the string, except that the "/" character is only matched if match was given the -s option. * A "*" character in pattern matches zero or more characters in the string. The exception is that it will only match "/" characters if match was given the -s option. [...] A set of characters between square brackets matches any character in the set. In addition, the "-" character can be used to specify a range. For example "[+e0-3]" would match any of the characters "+", "e", 0, 1, 2, or 3 in the input string. To include a hyphen ("-") in the set of characters matched, either include the hyphen first or last, or escape it with a "". [!...] A character class preceded by a "!" matches any character but those specified in the class. The exception is that the negated character class will match a "/" only if match was given the -s option. c The backslash character escapes the next character c. Thus, to match a literal "*", you would use the pattern "*". match prints each string that matches pattern, one per line, and exits 0 if one or more strings matched. If no string matches, match exits with status 67 (or whatever alternate status was specified by the -x flag). If the -n n flag was specified, match prints only the text that matched the nth occurrence of "*" in the patten. OPTIONS -f file Specifies that the pattern should be read from file. match will read each line of the file and consider it as pattern to match against the argument strings. For each argument string, match stops when it hits the first matching line of the file. If file does not exist, match exits 67, or whatever code was specified by -x. -g Normally, the -n option selects text matching particular "*" characters in the patern. -g changes this behavior to use parentheses for grouping. Thus, for instance, the text "foo.c" would match pattern "*(.[ch])", and the output with option -n 1 would be ".c". To include a literal "(" or ")" in the pattern with the -g option, you must precede the character with a "". -i Makes the match case insensitive. str will be considered to match if any variation on its capitalization would match. For example, string "G" would match pattern "[f-h]". -l When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -l flag says to assign as much text as possible to the leftmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c", and the first "*" would match "a+b". This behavior is the default, thus -l's effect is only to undo a previous -r flag. -n n With this flag, match prints the text that matched the nth "*" in the pattern, as opposed to printing the whole string. The leftmost "*" corresponds to -n 1. Specifying -n 0 causes match to print the whole matching string. Specifying -n -1 or using a value greater than the number of "*"s in the pattern causes match not to print anything, in which case you can still use the exit status to see if there is a match. The default value for n is 0, unless -g has also been specified, in which case the default is 1. -c command When -c is specified, match runs command with the system shell (/bin/sh), giving it as argument $0 the full string that matched, and as arguments $1, $2, etc., the parts of the string that matched any "*"s in pattern. If the command does not exit with status 0, match will exit immediately, before processing further matches, with whatever status command returned. The -c and -n flags are mutually exclusive. -p pattern Specifies the pattern to match against. The -p flag is optional; you can specify pattern as the first argument following the options. However, if you want to try matching the same input string against multiple patterns, then you must specify each pattern with a -p flag. -q This option is synonymous with -n -1; it suppresses output when there is a match. You can still determine whether a match occurred by the exit status. -r When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -r flag says to assign as much text as possible to the rightmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, with -r, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c" with the "*" matching "a", and the second matching "b+c". -s Ordinarily, "*", "?", and negated character classes ("[!...]") do not match "/" characters. -s changes this behavior to match slashes. -x code By default, when there is no match, match exits with status 67. With this option, match exits with status code, instead. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have a directory with a bunch of files ending .c and .o. If, for each file named foo.c you want to attempt to delete the file foo.o, you can run the following command: match -p '*.c' -c 'rm -f $1.o' *.c Servers running the mailman list manager often send mail from bounce addresses of the form listname-bounces@host.com. If you subscribe to multiple lists on the same server, the mailman interface makes it easier if you subscribe under the same address. To split the mail into multiple folders based on the bounce address in the environment variable SENDER, you might chose a mailbox with the following shell code: name=`match -n1 "*-bounces@host.com" "$SENDER"` && echo "$HOME/Mail/incoming/host-$name.spool" SEE ALSO
avenger(1), avenger.local(8) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 match(1)