Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pivoting a Single column
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pivoting a Single column Post 302256749 by deepakwins on Monday 10th of November 2008 01:08:34 PM
Old 11-10-2008
Pivoting a Single column

Hi,

Input

Code:
ID|Name
1|a,b,c
2|d,e,f,g

I would like to get output in the following format.

Output

Code:
ID|NAME
1|a
1|b
1|c
2|d
2|e
2|f
2|g

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste each 10 lines of single column to several column

Hi, I need to paste each 10 lines of single column to several columns. Please, can anyone tell me how to write in awk? Input File: 22 34 36 12 17 19 15 11 89 99 56 38 29 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nica
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple column into single column

Hi , i have an output as follows... xxx yyyy aaaa bbb and i want it to be printed as xxx yyyy aaaa bbb Any help please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List several files into one single column

frtgyh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a two column list of date pairs form a single column list

Hi all, looking for some help here. I'm what you'd call a dirty programmer. my shell scripts might be ugly, but they (usually) function... Say I have a single column text file with a list of dates (yyyymmdd) that represent the elevation of a point on that date (I work with land subsidence, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrandt1979
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a single value to the entire column

Hello everone, I have a text file as input, which lokks like for exemple: # # # 12 2 3 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 It has three column. My question is, i want to copy the value of 2nd column, 1st row to the entire 2nd column. similarly for the third column also. My result... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh.n
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bring values in the second column into single line (comma sep) for uniq value in the first column

I want to bring values in the second column into single line for uniq value in the first column. My input jvm01, Web 2.0 Feature Pack Library jvm01, IBM WebSphere JAX-RS jvm01, Custom01 Shared Library jvm02, Web 2.0 Feature Pack Library jvm02, IBM WebSphere JAX-RS jvm03, Web 2.0 Feature... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pivoting values from column to rows

I/P: I/P: 2017/01/01 a 10 2017/01/01 b 20 2017/01/01 c 40 2017/02/01 a 10 2017/02/01 b 20 2017/02/01 c 30 O/P: a b c 2017/01/01 10 20 40 2017/02/01 10 20 30 (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Booo
18 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD