Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script preserving last 2 versions of files Post 302252450 by synergy_texas on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 12:58:47 PM
Old 10-29-2008
Computer

Smilie Thanks for the responses. All were great ideas. Summer_cherry had the most compact code and easiest to manipulate for an inexperienced shell programmer like me. However, I did like all your responses and will try to learn from each of your approaches. Thank you all very much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving .html files while preserving hyperlink integrity?

Hi, I use a Windows-based program called <a href="http://www.coast.com">Coast Webmaster</a> for moving large numbers of HTML files in one directory to another directory. As you drag and drop each file or entire directory of files to new locations in the web root directory tree, this utility... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Buddy123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purge files, keep 3 versions of last 4 days

Hello, I currently generate a file every 15 minutes for 12 hours a day. I would like to clean the directory on a daily basis. I only want to keep the latest 3 versions for the last 4 days in the directory. Any suggestions? Thanks, Barbara (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manage multiple versions of a set of shell and SQL script utilities

Hi all --- I have the need to manage multiple versions of a set of utility scripts -- both shell and SQL and other .dat files. I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a good way to "PATH" to SQL and text files in a way similar to how PATH facilitates finding executables in a pre-specified... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DennisB
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell versions affecting find?

Hi all, I just spent 30hours writing a script (my first) that makes extensive use of the find command on my mac os x terminal and which was meant to be run as a cron job on my server. The script is an automated backup system for a bunch of source control repositories. On the mac it works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpower
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to delete previous versions of files

Hi. I need a script (either bash or perl) that can delete previous versions of files. For instance, from our continuous build process I get directories such as build5_dev_1.21 build5_dev_1.22 build5_dev_1.23 build5_dev_1.24 I need a script that I can run every night (using "at"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete older versions of unique files

I have directory where new sub directories and files being created every few minutes. The directories are like abc_date, def_date, ghi_date. I am looking to keep the latest 2 unique directories and delete everything else. Here is what I have so far This gives me unique names excluding the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzstore
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a directory structure with the latest versions of files

Hello I have three directory structures for code releases. Each directory structure looks like this: bash-3.00$ ls -R | more .: Test_Release_1 Test_Release_2 Test_Release_3 ./Test_Release_1/dbcode: rp_online_import_srdp.pkb-1 srdp_ar_validation.pkb-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 versions, 1 script (A tale of madness.)

So, I have a machine running solaris (x86) and it has two different versions of Math::BigInt installed on it. The older version is 1.77. The newer version is 1.87 (via activeperl). When I run my code, one of the modules I use needs at least version 1.78. Somehow, it defaults to looking at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving variable in script run with sudo

In a nutshell, I want $USER to reflect my user ID in a script run with sudo. I'm working with OSX in case that makes a difference. If I 'sudo echo $USER', I get my user ID. But if I 'sudo myscript.sh' and myscript.sh has a line to echo $USER, I get 'root' I'm hoping there's a switch I can add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with korn shell script to get the latest file versions in a directory

I want to write a korn shell script to get the latest three versions for a file in the directory having lot of files with various versions (files with prefix as same but time stamp as suffix) and compress it and at the same time have to remove the remaining versions of the file (other than latest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshbabu
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD