Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove parenthesis character (Perl) Post 302251941 by aristegui on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 11:47:31 AM
Old 10-28-2008
Remove parenthesis character (Perl)

Hello, i'm unable to remove the parenthesis character.

With $parsed_AsciiName =~ s/\(//;
the string is the same

And with $parsed_AsciiName =~ s/(//;
i retrieve "Unmatched ( in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/( <-- HERE"

Any ideas, please? thank you in advanced.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to only remove parenthesis and : leave the rest

Hi all, I'm stuck on this last part...am running a simple script under AIX to extract NetView host IP addresses. The line below returns the IP address in parenthesis with a trailing colon, i.e. ping -c 1 $name |grep \( | awk '{ print $3 }' --------> returns (a.b.c.d): How can I only... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: livinthedream
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl use split and remove specific character

i want to split the input by a space and remove specific characters like full stop, comma...... etc. and then save each word in an array. i got something below, but it didn't work. can anyone please help me? Thank you #!/usr/bin/perl -w while (<>) { $line = <>; @word = split(' ',... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a ^M character

Hi, I'd like to ask for some help with the following: I've cut a couple of columns of file1 to create file2 with the following code: cur -f 1,3,8 file1 > file2 Then I need to transfer file 2 from UNIX to Windows and use it further. Unfortunatelly, for some reason the line is displayed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove \ character

Dear Members, I have a file which is a single line file. It has "\" character and i need to replace this character with a new line character. How can we do this? I tried with sed but it did not work. sed 's//"\n"/g' t1 > t2Thanks Sandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl cmd to remove the control-Z character at end of 10GB file

In a 10-50GB file , at end of file there is Control-z character tried the below options, 1. perl -p -i -e 's/^Z//g' new.txt 2. perl -0777lwi -032e0 new.txt and Sed command, dos2unix etc it takes more time to remove the control-z. need a command or perl program to GO TO LAST LINE OF FILE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files to remove everything before one parenthesis

Hi, I have files in a folder that I would like all renamed without the preceding number and parenthesis. For example, I have files of the name 08) Great Good Fine Ok - Not Going Home 09) Roosevelt - Small Hours 10) RAC - I Should've Guessed Feat. SPEAK and I would like them all to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu429
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove parenthesis and run awk calculation

The awk below works fine if I manually remove the () from file1. However, when I try to use tr to remove the () and then | into awk to run the calculation no result is obtained. Is there a way to tell the awk to ignore the () in fiile1 if they are there or do I need to remove them first? Thank... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)