Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD import freeBSD into VMWARE (ESX 3.5) Post 302250615 by glen.barber on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 08:34:11 PM
Old 10-23-2008
Code:
man dump; man restore

The manual for dump/restore, in my opinion, couldn't be more clear.

Regards.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Minicom with VMWare ESX Server

Hello! I have an ESX Server up and running. Now I want to connect a serial device to the COM Port. For that I need the minicom program. When I try "configure - make - make all" I get some errors. Can someone please explain to me, what the problems are: # ./configure checking for a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kickbit
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 Cluster on VMware ESX 3.5

Hello everybody, I'm trying to create a S10 cluster on ESX 3.5 servers but I have several problems. I use AMD Athtlon x64 CPU's on ESX servers and Solaris 10 U8 at my guest servers.. First and the most important problem, I dont know how to attach a RDM disk to Solaris 10. (Is it correct,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowfaxxxx
1 Replies

3. Solaris

VMware ESX 3.5

Hi, I am going to install solaris cluster 3.2 in vmware esx 3.5 for demo, for cluster we need two different network interfaces for private and pubic connectivity, but we have single ethernet controller how to create two different ethernet instance name with single ethernet controller in vmware... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for VMWare ESX

Hi I would make a script for my ESX server. Unfortunately I'm beginner in shell scripting. I will do the following: # With the command vmware-cmd -l I can do a listing like this File1.vmx File2.vmx File3.vmx File4.vmx File5.vmx # Now with every single line of this output I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathy
2 Replies

5. SuSE

SuSE 10 32bit Hardware interupts on VMWare ESX 4i

Hi! Does anyone know how a high percentage of Hardware Interrupts does affect a Linux system? any why does it generate hardware interrupts? The affected system is a SuSE 10.2 32bit running 2.6.16.60-0.33-vmi #1 SMP Fri Oct 31 14:24:07 UTC 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux procinfo shows that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

6. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

solaris virtual machine vmware esx

Hi All How would you send a solaris virtual machine in vmware esx, a break signal? :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
0 Replies
RESTOR(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RESTOR(8)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restarting ). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(8) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the file system was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus mkfs /dev/hp0a 4807 restor r /dev/hp0a is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
/dev/rmt1 default file name rst* temporary files SEE ALSO
dump(8), dumpdir(8), mkfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a newline when the next tape has been mounted. Dump tapes made before the new ondisc directory structure will be converted automatically by restor . BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor does't use it. 3rd Berkeley Distribution RESTOR(8)