Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check that backup MX actually does its job Post 302248455 by noratx on Friday 17th of October 2008 04:56:56 PM
Old 10-17-2008
Ok...
I don't know if you are familiar with mail::toaster.. but, the suite has a script that is setup to do some checks and send a mail to the postmaster account every 5 minutes...
I just made an "qmail queue" and found this:

backup# qmail queue
messages in queue: 277
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 275
17 Oct 2008 09:25:03 GMT #547616 1960 <#@[]>
16 Oct 2008 18:31:39 GMT #547601 1163 <>

Do you know what I can do to find out why the mails is staying in the queue? I don't find much in the logs.. =(

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup job help

I have a backup program on my unix box. I run it manualy and normaly start it from the terminal. But i would like to be able to start it up threw a telnet session. I was told that i had to leave teh telnet setion open untel the backup was complete, cuase if i closed the telnet the process would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thump
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup with shell program and cron job.

Hi, The object of my program is to take automatic backup on daily basis to different folders. I have created the respective folders. when I execute below given shell program manually it is working perfectly and taking the backup to respective folder. #!/bin/sh #script to take backup on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Showing a daily backup job from a unique log file.

Hi guys, I´m a newbie in Linux, but I´m trying to solve some problems studying on my own, but I´ve had some problems with AWK. Look, I have one single backup log file per server and I want to make a daily delection from the last backup job to show in a intranet of my work. The log files are from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metalfreakbr
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To check, a table is used in a job

Hi, I have a list of jobs scheduled in unix. I want to check whether a particular view or table is used in a job. If they are not used, I can make changes to them. Thanks, Raaga (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raaga
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check the status of job

Hi, I have master job which will run based on the sub jobs status. In the master job I am giving the condition like, condition: s(sub_job) f(sub_job) This scenario will work if the sub job status is success or failed. but I want to run my master job even if the sub_job was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
1 Replies

8. Programming

Refire a backup job.

how to code script using shell scripting to refire a backup job if it fails with an error code of 196? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To refire a backup job using shell scripting..........

how to write a code using shell scripting to refire a back up job if it fails with an error code of 196? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies
qmail-queue(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    qmail-queue(8)

NAME
qmail-queue - queue a mail message for delivery SYNOPSIS
qmail-queue DESCRIPTION
qmail-queue reads a mail message from descriptor 0. It then reads envelope information from descriptor 1. It places the message into the outgoing queue for future delivery by qmail-send. The envelope information is an envelope sender address followed by a list of envelope recipient addresses. The sender address is preceded by the letter F and terminated by a 0 byte. Each recipient address is preceded by the letter T and terminated by a 0 byte. The list of recipient addresses is terminated by an extra 0 byte. If qmail-queue sees end-of-file before the extra 0 byte, it aborts without placing the message into the queue. Every envelope recipient address should contain a username, an @ sign, and a fully qualified domain name. qmail-queue always adds a Received line to the top of the message. Other than this, qmail-queue does not inspect the message and does not enforce any restrictions on its contents. However, the recipients probably expect to see a proper header, as described in qmail-header(5). Programs included with qmail which invoke qmail-queue will invoke the contents of $QMAILQUEUE instead, if that environment variable is set. FILESYSTEM RESTRICTIONS
qmail-queue imposes two constraints on the queue structure: each mess subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as the pid directory; and each todo subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as the intd directory. EXIT CODES
qmail-queue does not print diagnostics. It exits 0 if it has successfully queued the message. It exits between 1 and 99 if it has failed to queue the message. All qmail-queue error codes between 11 and 40 indicate permanent errors: 11 Address too long. 31 Mail server permanently refuses to send the message to any recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue, but can be used by programs offering the same interface.) All other qmail-queue error codes indicate temporary errors: 51 Out of memory. 52 Timeout. 53 Write error; e.g., disk full. 54 Unable to read the message or envelope. 55 Unable to read a configuration file. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 56 Problem making a network connection from this host. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 61 Problem with the qmail home directory. 62 Problem with the queue directory. 63 Problem with queue/pid. 64 Problem with queue/mess. 65 Problem with queue/intd. 66 Problem with queue/todo. 71 Mail server temporarily refuses to send the message to any recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 72 Connection to mail server timed out. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 73 Connection to mail server rejected. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 74 Connection to mail server succeeded, but communication failed. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 81 Internal bug; e.g., segmentation fault. 91 Envelope format error. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-inject(8), qmail-qmqpc(8), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8) qmail-queue(8)