Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Perm settings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Perm settings Post 302247605 by ramkriz on Thursday 16th of October 2008 05:17:40 AM
Old 10-16-2008
File Perm settings

we have a file particular group(say abc) and we have a user(say def) in that group.I created file ram.txt it looked like this..
-rwxr--r-- 1 def abc 10 Oct 16 03:54 ram.txt

I changed the owner and group of the file as below
-rwxr--r-- 1 kriz test 10 Oct 16 03:58 ram.txt

when I log in as def to the machine and try to edit the file it says "read only" but when I save the file using wq!, it saves the contents and all the perm changes we did are lost and it agian goes to original settings..

Any Idea why it is happening? How to make a file readonly by chown option..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

change semaphore perm

Hi, I've a problem with this simple code about of semaphore: #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<semaphore.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<sys/mman.h> #include<sys/fcntl.h> #define SemName "/SEM_1" int main (int argc, char **argv) { char name;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FastMagister
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find -perm query

I was going through a find tutorial and just couldn't get it...can someone explain it like he/she would explain a brain damaged dodo? "find allows you to specify a pattern that can be bit-wise ANDed with the permissions of the file. Simply put a minus sign before the octal value. The group write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: napolayan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perm bits

hi, in other previous post, someone suggested to set the " perm bits " to lock the file such that preventing others write to that same file, could someone please explain exactly what is perm bits and how can I achieve the desired result? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card in find perm

Hi, Is there a way to use find command to list the directories for certain permissions. I know we can use find . -type d -perm nnn, where nnn is the permission number . However I wold like to know if I wanna search for wild card permissions i.e 75* / 7* / 55* , as i do not know the actual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access file permission settings from Windows

Looking to see if there is a tool/crawler that could export the file permissions to a windows for a unix system ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matvrix
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find -perm option

How to find all files for instance that match the permission rwxr*x--- where * is a wildcard which can be optionally asserted but all the others must match? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Sudo perm to troubleshooting

I am building an access template of what types of commands I will need sudo, to support an installed application and view log files in general what commands are recommended is there a general of what would be useful on Red Hat? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to delete directory even with 777 perm

Hi, I have an 'empty' directory 'tmp' of which I am the owner and 777 permission. But when I try to delete the directory using rmdir or rm command, it gives error. Command prompt snapshot: => uname SunOS ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinum81
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SUDOERS file settings Incorrect

1. I have user temp1 belonging to techx group $ id uid=1006(temp1) gid=1002(techx) groups=1002(techx) 2. We have user tomcat belonging to webadm group $ id uid=1017(tomcat) gid=1001(webadm) groups=1001(webadm) 3. We have user root belonging to root group. $ id uid=0(root) gid=0(root)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)