Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple file renaming
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple file renaming Post 302244894 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 9th of October 2008 01:35:13 AM
Old 10-09-2008
save the script as filerenamer.py and make sure its executable, then you can either use ./filerenamer.py ... or python filerenamer.py <options>
I have got the script copied to one of the directories in my PATH variable, that's why i can use just "filerenamer.py"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Can someone please tell me how I can rename a bunch of files at a time. I hava a directory that has 700+ files that are named *.xyz and I would like to rename them to *.abc . How can I do that with a simple command ? mv *.xyz *.abc did not work. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming of multiple filenames

Hi All, I need to rename the file names. I need to rename for example as follows file001 to flat1 file100 to flat100 Thanks Shash :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hi All my dear friends I had multiple files in my directory with .pcv and .sqv extn I want to rename all .pcv files with .pc extn and all .sqv files with .sql extn Please help me out.:eek::mad::rolleyes: e.g. /trimsbld/users/dhirens/scripts/newfolder==>ll -rt total 2856 -rwxr-xr-x 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhiren_shah
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple File renaming with a twist

Hi I can do simple file renaming but this task is slightly more troublesome Ive got a guy that gives me multiple .pdf filles in a directory named something like 3412345.pdf 4565465.pdf 8534534.pdf And he also gives me a html file which is tabled with which shows the filenames above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messiah1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into multiple files and renaming them

Hi all, Newbie here. First of all, sorry if I made any mistakes while posting this question in terms of rules. Correct me if I am wrong. :b: I have a .dat file whose name is in the format of 20170311_abc_xyz.dat. The file consists of records whose first column consists of multiple dates in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanduris
2 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)