Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting capture output of file and send last string thereof to new file Post 302243828 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 6th of October 2008 03:55:35 PM
Old 10-06-2008
you can redirect the output of acript to a file and then by using tail you can get the last line
Code:

scriptname >> filename
tail -1 filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture output to file and printer

Hi All : I wanted a unix command by which I could be able to print the output to a file and at the same time to a printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Ramamurthy Dasari (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdasari
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Shell Script Output To A File

Hi, I am running a shell script called dbProcess.sh which performs shutdown and startup of various Oracle instances we have.At the time of execution the script produces the following output to the command line window $./dbProcess.sh stop #### Run Details ###### Hostname : server-hop-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture output to log file

Hi I have a script that will run multiple unix & sql commands. I want to see the output as well as capture it to a log file for further analysis. Is there an easy way to do that instead of adding "tee -a logfile" on everyline or even on the execute line (i.e. script | tee -s logfile). Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to capture certain text from a string in a different file

Hi, I wanted to know how i could accomplish this in a script using ksh. Lets say there is a file called test.dat and it has a certain input like below : . . Hi = 56 Hi = 67 . . 1 record(s) selected Now i need to capture the numbers after the = sign and store them in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddarth
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture all error message in Log file and send the Log file by email

Hi I have a requirement to write a script to capture all errors in a Logfile and send the file in email. If there is any error occurred the subject of email will be ERROR , If there are no error occurred the subject of email will be SUCCESS. So I created a Log file and put the Appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want ro capture the debug in output file

I want to capture the debug for the below command in output file . i tried like this but its not working: sh -xv <scriptname> >> output.log i want the output in a log file. Anyone plz help in this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakkaravarthy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture a string enclose by a pattern within a file?

Hi all, My file :test.txt just like this: ........................... From: 333:123<sip:88888888888@bbbb.com To: <sip:123456@aaaaa.com ......................... I want a script to capture the string between sip: & @ Expect output: 88888888888 123456 Please help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex Li
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String capture from ip file

Dear All From below mention input file I want op file as mention. Kindly help. IP file: "BSCGNR4_IPA17_C" 329 140119 0717 RXOCF-105 KJO001_BASC_NG AC FAULTY DG ON DOOR OPEN Needed OP: 140119 0717 KJO001_BASC_NG AC FAULTY DG ON DOOR OPEN Note that string mark in red as variable in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of open pipe to a file in perl

Hi, I am trying to capture the output of the an open pipe in perl. but I am not sure how to do this. can some one please help me do that? Below is the script I am using (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture string in a log file

Dear all, I have a log file to be analysed. this log file contains vaiours lines of code starting with date timestamp. if my search string is exception then that resepective log statement starting from the date is required. example: 2014/10/01 16:14:44.459|>=|E|X|19202496|2832|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravee
5 Replies
tail(1) 							   User Commands							   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [+-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [+- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l] [f | r]] [file] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for count- ing is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. SunOS 5.11 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)