Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Not able to send out multiple file in mail Post 302242743 by bakunin on Thursday 2nd of October 2008 07:15:02 PM
Old 10-02-2008
The problem lies not in the mail system but in a misunderstanding about how redirection works on your part: the "*" is expanded by the shell prior to passing the results of this expansion to the command. Therefore what you have written is analogous to

Code:
process < a b c

where a, b and c are some files. There is no reason for the system (and rightfully so) to concatenate these files to some stream. This is what "cat" (for "concatenate" is for. Both variants would work, assuming that a, b and c are the only files in the directory:

Code:
cat a b c | process
cat * | process

In the latter case "*" is expanded to "a b c" by the shell making both lines identical.

Applying this to your case your command should be:

Code:
cat /data02/transfer/*_experience_rate_log.txt |mail -s 'PICS EXP RATE Logs' lger@nd.com

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send mail to multiple users ???

Hi All, How to send mails to multiple users using a single mailx command. Urgently require help Thanks in advance Rgds Arunava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunava_maity
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i send mail to multiple addresses in same domain in bash?

Suppose i have a txt file that is the list of the addresses,something like: lala0045 john james lala0234 george james and i want to send an email to lala0045@blabla.com and lala0234@blabla.com,the same domain...what is the exact syntax i should use in my script? there is a command... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send html file in a mail not as an attachment but it should display in the mail in table for

Hi The below script working when we are sending the html as attachment can u please guide how to send thesmae data in table form direct in the mail and not in mail attachment . cat Employee.sql SET VERIFY OFF SET PAGESIZE 200 SET MARKUP HTML ON SPOOL ON PREFORMAT OFF ENTMAP ON - HEAD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail with multiple files attached?

Hi, I would like to send a mail with multiples files attached. Until now i was doing a "find" and then a "tar" of the text files. As I need to be able to read them on a mobile device such as Blackberry for instance, i would like to send them in one single mail, but without taring them. is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierrito
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail from AIX unix with multiple attachment

Hi, I have the below code for sending email from AIX unix. I need the body of the mail should content of errornotify.txt file. i tested with cat errornotify.txt, it is not working...Also i need multiple attachments. Can you please help me out on this. ( echo "From:cus@xxx.xx.com" echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach multiple file to send mail command

Hi, i want color effect on mail as well as multiple attachment.I have code but this code is used for single attachment. I am unable to attach more than one file.:wall: I want to send two attachments -ahmed.csv and ahmed1.csv . Sample content: <html> <body> <b> Hi...</b> </body> </html> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to send mail with multiple attachments?

We don't have uuencode installed in our machines..... Please tell me how to send mail with multiple attachments ??? URGENT !!!!! Please tell me using command line (or) scripts.......... please...... Thanks in Advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a mail to multiple users

I have a file 1.txt which has 3 mail ids as below: Maillist=abc@gmail.com def@gmail.com rcg@gmail.com Now I want to write a script which will read this file and send the mail to all the users present in this file. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send multiple HTML output in one mail

HI, I have two scripts which is sending the mail in html format. Script 1: 1.IFILE=/home/home01/Report.csv if #Checks if file exists and readable then if awk -F, '{ T += $13 } END { exit(!T) }' ${IFILE} then awk -F, 'BEGIN{ c=split("3,4,8,9,13", col) print "To:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail command --> send multiple attachments

Hi, i try to send two (multiple) files by the mail-console-command mail -s TEST -a f1.pdf f2.pdf n.ame@ms123.de but it doesn't work. can someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance, IMPe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-belnstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (e.g., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), fcntl(2), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
January 29, 2013 BSD