Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DiskSuite dilemma
Operating Systems Solaris DiskSuite dilemma Post 302242111 by admin@solaris on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 07:41:06 AM
Old 10-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb
Hello,

We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1.

When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance) state?

Can anyone explain this phenom or how to rectify it?

Thanks,

Mike
I didn't find metatool command on my system but you can further disk status using command

iostat -En
format

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Terminal Dilemma

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this question... I have a contract to convert a mainframe/DB2 application to using AIX/Oracle. Everything went fine but we are now running into a terminal problem. With the Mainframe app, the clients had great response time from remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky_triton
5 Replies

2. Programming

dilemma in control flow

hello im facing a queer problem when i execute the foll code in unix # include <stdio.h> # include <unistd.h> main(int argc,char *argv) { FILE *fp = fopen("/ras/chirag/fifotest/file.fifo","a"); int i=1; fprintf(fp,argv); printf("I SLEEP"); system("date"); for (i=0;i<50;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Final Year Project dilemma

Hello everyone. Need some final year project ideas - what is actual/feasible and beneficial experience-wise? Preferably something related to Networking / Linux / UNIX / Security . Appreciate any help/idea. E.K. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

dilemma what to use c++ or script for demon process

Hello all i need to implement demon that needs to extract data from db load the data to memory and according to this data to perform actions like sending emails or write/update files this action needs to be preformed each 30 min's now i really don't know what to decide or to compile c++... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Patch management dilemma

I've inherited about 10 RHEL 3 boxes that are located in Europe behind a corporate firewall with no access to rhn.redhat.com I've been tasked with patching all of these systems but I ask, Does redhat issue patch bundles? In AIX, there are maintenance levels and Sun has patch clusters available... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
4 Replies

6. Solaris

disksuite mirroring d0 to d2 and d1 to d3

I have a SOlaris 10 v240 server. I'm installing disksuite to mirror the root drive D0 to D2. I also have one partition on disk 1 that I want to mirror to D3. I am not using ZFS right now. Can I add that to my initial mirroring configuration or can I only mirror 1 drive to 1 drive? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies
vgchgid(1M)															       vgchgid(1M)

NAME
vgchgid - modify the Volume Group ID (VGID) on a given set of physical devices SYNOPSIS
PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath] ... DESCRIPTION
The command is designed to change the LVM Volume Group ID (VGID) on a supplied set of disks. will work with any type of storage, but it is primarily targeted at disk arrays that are able to create "snapshots" or "clones" of mirrored LUNs. accepts a set of raw physical devices and ensures that they all belong to the same volume group, before altering the VGID (see section). The same VGID is set on all the disks and it should be noted that in cases of multi-PV volume groups, all the physical volumes should be supplied in a single invocation of the command. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: PhysicalVolumePath The raw devices path name of a physical volume. Background Some storage subsystems have a feature which allows a user to split off a set of mirror copies of physical storage (termed or just as LVM splits off logical volumes with the command. As the result of the "split," the split-off devices will have the same VGID as the original disks. is needed to modify the VGID on the BCV devices. Once the VGID has been altered, the BCV disks can be imported into a new volume group by using WARNINGS
Once the VGID has been changed, the original VGID is lost until a disk device is re-mirrored with the original devices. If is used on a subset of disk devices (for example, two out of four disk devices), the two groups of disk devices would not be able to be imported into the same volume group since they have different VGIDs on them. The solution is to re-mirror all four of the disk devices and re-run on all four BCV devices at the same time, and then use to import them into the same new volume group. If a disk is newly added to an existing volume group and no subsequent LVM operations has been performed to alter the structures (in other words, operations which perform an automated vgcfgbackup(1M)); then it is possible a subsequent will fail. It will report that the disk does not belong to the volume group. This may be overcome by performing a structure changing operation on the volume group (for example, using It is the system administrator's responsibility to make sure that the devices provided in the command line are all Business Copy volumes of the existing standard physical volumes and are in the ready state and writable. Mixing the standard and BC volumes in the same volume group can cause data corruption. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 VGID was modified with no error 1 VGID was not modified EXAMPLES
An example showing how might be used: 1. The system administrator uses the following commands to create the Business Continuity (BCV or BC) copy: 1) For EMC Symmetrix disks, the commands are and 2) For XP disk array, the commands are and Three BCV disks are created. 2. Change the VGID on the BCV disks. 3. Make a new volume group using the BCV disks. This step can be skipped as the group file will be created automatically. If the file is manually created it will have different major and minor numbers (see lvm(7)). 4. Import the BCV disks into the new volume group. 5. Activate the new volume group. 6. Backup the new volume group's LVM data structure. 7. Mount the associated logical volumes. SEE ALSO
vgimport(1M), vgscan(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M). vgchgid(1M)