Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare two files using while and sed .. debug my script please Post 302240506 by shamushamu on Friday 26th of September 2008 01:42:28 AM
Old 09-26-2008
Thank you to everyone who have replied Smilie but ....

Sometimes this might be a long list, unalphabetized, and the words might be lb_nhb_5x_gihsd2_frnas, so spotting the differences between 2 columns is not practical. Yes, I have tried a lot of simple commands like paste, sort, uniq, and bdiff, but we would really prefer the following format for spotting the differences quicker and easier:

Desire Output:
File1 Files
-----------
die1
die2 die2
die3
lb_name1 lb_name1
lb_name2 lb_name2
lb_name3

Each of these columns is in a different file. I'm simply wanting to combine the 2 files, but have the same item in rows. The differences should be blanks. Even the paste -d \n command doesn't do this.

I've tried to type in the tabs between these 2 columns, but this forum will not let me use tab. With the tabs, it's really easy to spot the differences. I've been struggling with this problem for a week now. It's fun scripting but I've hit a wall, so I really need your help Smilie

Last edited by shamushamu; 09-26-2008 at 02:50 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to compare files

HI i wil get input from sql query and that too i can get a list o f files or just one. i have to pick up a file from another directory which hads prefix to this prefix.x.x.x.x.x. And we have to discard prefix and use that file name. we have to compare this file name(no need... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulse2india
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Compare Two Files

I have a directory with about 6 files that we receive regularly. these 6 files contain information for 3 different units, 2 for each unit. files related to a specific unit are named similarly with a change in number at the end of the file. the numbers should be sequential. for each grouping of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptman237
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files using shell script

Hi i want to compare two files and i need the o/p of only difference here the files file1 achilles aedxbepo aedxbwdm01 aedxbwdm02 albedo amarice ambrister anakin anton argon artephius asgard avatar aymara (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Script to compare two files

Hello, I have a dat file nctilllist.dat which will be present in the directory path "/usr/lpp/web-data/mfg/nct/file-data/nctilllist.dat" nctillist.dat will have reference to files like DP100001.jpg,DP10002.PDF,DP100003.doc on the path /usr/lpp/web-data/mfg/nct/file-data will have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gayathrivm
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare two text files

i am working on a shell script and need help in the comparing part of it. for e.g. there two text files like this: file1.txt name1 name2 name3 file1 has to be comared with file2 defaultfile.txt name1 name2 name3 name4 and during comparision with defaultfile.txt if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to extract/compare from two files.

I have two files : Alpha and Beta. The files are as follows (without arrow marks.) Alpha: A 1 D 90 G 11 B 24 C 15 Beta: B 24 C 0 <-- G 11 D 20 <-- A 4 <-- E 777 <-- Expected output of the script : Alpha: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies
SHUNIT2(1)																SHUNIT2(1)

NAME
shunit2 - A unit test framework for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shunit2 unitfile DESCRIPTION
shUnit2 is a xUnit unit test framework for Bourne based shell scripts, and it is designed to work in a similar manner to JUnit, PyUnit, etc.. If you have ever had the desire to write a unit test for a shell script, shUnit2 can do the job. You can either run shunit2 directly from the commandline and specify the unit file or directly source the shunit2 executable. If you directly execute shunit2 and don't specify a unitfile shunit2 assumes a empty testfile and will return without an error message. EXAMPLE
Simple script to test if 1 equals 1 #! /bin/sh testEquality() { assertEquals 1 1 } # load shunit2 . shunit2 Execute shUnit2 unit tests directly from the commandline shunit2 /path/to/unit/file OPTIONS
shunit2 does not support any commandline options at all. You can either source shunit2 to execute your unit tests or directly run shunit2 as a commandline script. SEE ALSO
For more information see http://code.google.com/p/shunit2/ or have a look at the installed documentation in /usr/share/doc/shunit2/ AUTHOR
shunit2 was written by Kate Ward <kate.ward@forestent.com>. This manpage was written by Ulrich Dangel <mru@spamt.net>. 2.1.6 03/25/2012 SHUNIT2(1)