Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: aixterm vs cterm: HELP
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users aixterm vs cterm: HELP Post 302240497 by nullwhat on Friday 26th of September 2008 12:55:34 AM
Old 09-26-2008
aixterm vs cterm: HELP

been trying to get the mouse scroll wheel to page the terminal for about 2 yrs now on aixterm. any ideas. the below syntax does not work in aixterm but does work in xterm.

------------------------- this does not work in aixterm but does work in xterm,, with a cat Xdefult | sed 's/aixterm/xterm/g'

! Note (7/26/06): These commands below do not succeed in enabling the mouse wheel
! scrolling for Aixterm windows, but they at least get rid of the annoying string
! of beeps that was happening when ever you turned the wheel. RDJ
!
!# Scrolling on wheel mouse: half a page normally, line per line with shift
aixterm*translations: #override\n\
Shift<Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>:scroll-back(1,line)\n\
Shift<Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>:scroll-forw(1,line)\n\
Ctrl<Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>:scroll-back(1,page)\n\
Ctrl<Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>:scroll-forw(1,page)\n\
<Btn4Down>,<Btn4Up>:scroll-back(1,halfpage)\n\
<Btn5Down>,<Btn5Up>:scroll-forw(1,halfpage)\n\

!# In the scrollbar we map buttons 5 & 4 to 1 and 2 otherwise, core dump
!# This will move proportionnaly to cursor position but we dont know how to
!# program the same exact behavior as in the text widget.
aixterm*Scrollbar.translations: #override\n\
<Btn5Down>: StartScroll(Forward)\n\
<Btn4Down>: StartScroll(Backward)\n\

aixterm*Scrollbar.translations: #override\n\
Shift<Btn4Down>: scroll(-1,page) \n\
Shift<Btn5Down>: scroll(1,page) \n\
None<Btn4Down>: scroll(-5,line) \n\
None<Btn5Down>: scroll(5,line)

Last edited by nullwhat; 09-26-2008 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: arr its late

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximizing an xterm or aixterm window?

Is there a way to maximize an xterm window in a ksh script? I've tried a number of approaches, but none seem to have the desired affect. All I want to accomplish is to have the window maximized upon being called in the script...i.e: xterm -T MyNewXterm -e programToOpen & | maximized --or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spieterman
1 Replies

2. AIX

Aixterm icon placement?

Hi, I'm using xterm and aixterm with Mwm on AIX, and having trouble controlling icon placement when minimising windows. Basically when I run an xterm or aixterm I want to be able to specify where the icon will be if minimised. The man page mentions the "#geometry Geometry" option to aixterm,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cunningdavid
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change title of aixterm window online

Is there any way to change title of aixterm window online? Also is it possible to freeze first/last few lines online? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Soham
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIXTERM Status Line

Hello, can anyone help and suggest a way I can implement the following Idea: I would like to use the status line in aixterm to display the current hostname as well as some other environment variables during the session. I have not been able to put any string and display that in the status line.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
0 Replies

5. AIX

aixterm scroll?

on a AIX sys i have been trying to get the mouse scroll wheel to page the terminal for about 2 yrs now on aixterm. any ideas. the below syntax does not work in aixterm but does work in xterm. ------------------------- this does not work in aixterm but does work in xterm,, with a cat Xdefult |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
2 Replies

6. AIX

Enable scrollbar on all aixterm windows ?

There is this workstations that I sometimes work on and it annoys me because it does not have any vertical scrollbar enabled. I did a Google on activating scroll bar but they talk about escape sequences that I have no clue on how to do this: CSI ? P m h DEC Private Mode Set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies
vte(1)								   User Commands							    vte(1)

NAME
vte - virtual terminal emulator SYNOPSIS
vte [-2] [-A] [-a] [-B image] [-b] [-C] [-c command] [-D] [-d] [-f font] [-g] [-h] [-i] [-k] [-n] [-r] [-S] [-s] [-T] [-t terminal-type] DESCRIPTION
vte is simply a window wrapped around the vte embeddable terminal emulation control, which does most of the work for gnome-terminal. vte is used mainly to test the control. Most users do not need to use vte directly, but use gnome-terminal instead. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -2 Toggle double buffering. Enabled by default. -A Toggle antialiasing. The default is that of the current GTK+ default. -a Toggle audible bell on/off. If audible bell is enabled, visible bell is disabled. If audible bell is disabled, visible bell is enabled. Audible bell enabled by default. -B image Use image as background. -b Toggle cursor blinking. Enabled by default. -C Open a "console" connection. -c command Fork the specified command. -D Use dingus clicking: as the cursor moves over text matching a certain pattern, the matched text is highlighted and the cur- sor changes shape. Disabled by default. -d Toggle update debugging. Disabled by default. -f font Specify the font to use. Default font is "Sans 12". -g Toggle whether to set geometry hints if font is changed. Enabled by default. -h Toggle highlighting. Disabled by default. -i Toggle whether to obey attempts to set the icon name, if applications running in the terminal request this. -k Toggle whether to keep program running after GTK main loop. Disabled by default. -n Specify the number of scrollback lines. Minumum number of scrollback lines is 100. Default number of scrollback lines is 100. -r Toggle whether to set cursor color to pale red. Disabled by default. -S Toggle launching a shell. Enabled by default. -s Toggle whether to scroll background image along with text. This option is only useful when combined with the -B option. Disabled by default. -T Use transparent background. Overrides the -B option. -t terminal-typeSpecify the terminal type to emulate. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
vte is designed to emulate the xterm program provided by the X Consortium. In turn, xterm is an almost complete emulation of the DEC VT102 terminal. vte supports the same extensions to VT102 as those provided by xterm, through special escape sequences. xterm is an evolving program. Recent changes to xterm have been been incorporated into vte. This includes emulation of the newer DEC VT220 escape sequences. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the Virtual Terminal Emulator example% vte ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: VTE_PROFILE_MEMORY Virtualize memory allocation for debugging purposes. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/vte Executable for virtual terminal emulator ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvte | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-terminal(1), xterm(1), libvte(3) NOTES
Written by Johan Steyn, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 vte(1)