Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange error on mpack from cronjob Post 302238641 by sentinel on Sunday 21st of September 2008 10:46:35 AM
Old 09-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn
'mpack' by default uses /usr/tmp as its TMPDIR. If /usr/tmp is not symlinked to /tmp or /var/tmp, then if it is not writable for that process it could result in such an error. I won't reproduce it that way, but 'export TMPDIR=/nonexistent_directoryname/' should result in the same. If it's not that you could strace the process for clues.
AAH ! Tried that and it worked. I checked 'man mpack' and it confirmed the dependence on TMPDIR which defaults to /usr/tmp. I do not have such a directory.

So in my script i just put TMPDIR=/Users/my/tmp, and mpack worked!

Grr! I can't understand why mpack could not have said "/usr/tmp not found", or pls set TMPDIR. So many hours wasted.

Thanks a lot "unspawn". You need to start spawning some more unix gurus :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error.. help

Hi, When I give the following $ ps -ef | grep `echo $var1` | grep -v "grep `echo $var1`" | awk '{print $3}' | grep -v `echo $var1 80892 But when I give the following (made as command substitution) , I get error $var2=`ps -ef | grep `echo $var1` |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange error

Hi all, i executed a script. cat <filename> | grep <pattern> | awk '{print $1}' | read a i get the answer when i execute it in the shell env (no problem with that) as ./<name>.ksh when i tried the same in cron (as an entry in cron) value is not being read in the variable a through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob: Partial script error

Part of my script throws an error. Your "cron" job on mitv-t-voms02 /usr/tlrscr/runhc.sh produced the following output: /usr/tlrscr/runhc.sh: top: not found /usr/tlrscr/runhc.sh: top: not found /usr/tlrscr/runhc.sh: top: not found syntax error on line 1, teletype That part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mpack behaves abnormally

Hi, I was using mpack to send mails using cronjob with attachments. It was working perfect. But recently it's behaving strangely. Its sending the mails without any error message but the mail is not getting delivered. The code I was using: /usr/local/bin/mpack -s "$SUBJECT" -d $MSGBODY... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itesh.dash
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant send mails with mpack/uuencode AIX 5.3

Hi all, I was using mpack for sending mails with pdf as attachment. It was working well. but some days back my server was shut down forcefully due to power failure and I found now the mails are moving to the queue always. I checked in /var/spool/mail/mqueue. Is the forece shutdown has to do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itesh.dash
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A running Script giving error while scheduled in cronjob

Hi, I have script which is properly running but when i schedule it in cron it throws an error like : Your "cron" job on retrprdapp1 /usr/bin/sh /retr/cron/ftp.sh 2>&1 produced the following output: /retr/cron/ftp.sh: syntax error at line 17: `(' unexpected line17 is # Get list of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajagasti
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty error when script is called out of a cronjob

Hello, I'm trying to implement a script to call a third-party tool every so often and write the results to a file. If I run it interactively it works fine, but when it comes to run it out of a cronjob, I keep getting this error: stty: tcgetattr: a specified file does not support the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabiogilr
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cancel a cronjob if the cronjob still running

hi everyone I'm newbie in this forum hope I can get some help here :) I have a command in crontab that executed every 1 minute sometime this command need more than 1 minute to finish the problem is, the crontab execute this command although it's not finish processing yet and causing the system... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2j4h
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error at the time of cronjob run

Hi All , Please read the below data carefully. I have run the below script on unix server its running succesfully. but when i run the same script using cronsetyp it giving me the error : command not found at (line num):cruiseStartup.sh below is code netstat -anp |grep 8181... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Error

I am receiving an error when i type the command dmesg sudo: sysmon : pam_authenticate: Conversation failure ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/export/home/sysmon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/scripts/cronmgmt/synch_crontab.ksh Whats it about and how can I remove it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp selecting 1 of 56800235584 (62 ** 6) pos- sible file names. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate a template string based on the prefix and the TMPDIR environment variable if set. The default location if TMPDIR is not set is /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable poten- tially supplied by the user. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. The mktemp utility is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. EXIT STATUS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and 1 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD. BSD
December 30, 2005 BSD