Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Critical files in /etc overwritten EMPTY! Post 302238330 by KEnglander on Friday 19th of September 2008 03:26:02 PM
Old 09-19-2008
I would hope SAM works a bit more cleanly, but I will glance back through the log (if its still there) to see if anything was going on at the time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.cshrc and .login overwritten !!

Hi, My account is : abcd I belong to a group: pqrs Some thing straneg happened yesterday. My .cshrc and .login got overwritten into pqrs's .cshrc and .login I obviously did not explicitly overwrite pqrs's .cshrc. Are there any reasons how this could have happened indirectly due to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjthomas
5 Replies

2. AIX

UIDs being overwritten immediately

We have a problem where we delete a user and their associated UID gets dumped back in the UID pool. The if we immediately create a another (new) user, AIX reuses the last UID, the one that was just released. This is causing a problem when reports are being generated because the new users name is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsys2000
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty Files

Hi, How can I check if a file is empty? I have read that I could done in this way: if then echo "non-zero length file" fi But nothing happens (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
3 Replies

4. Solaris

overwritten rootdisk?

Hi, The dump device on my system was set to /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7. I have done a savecore -Lv on the system which worked fine. I'm wondering have I overwritten the rootdisk here by mistake? The system is still up but will need to be rebooted due to an error on it. Will it come back up? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
8 Replies

5. Programming

variables overwritten

Hi, i have some problems with the following code: char *tab_path; char *sep=" \t\n"; char line; char *p; FILE * file; int i = 0; if(fgets(line,MAXLINE,file)!=NULL){ if((p=strtok(line,sep))!=NULL)tab_path=p; while((p=strtok(NULL,sep))!=NULL){ i++; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To empty the files

Hi, Using the shell script, how can I empty the files that are under a dir. -Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file is getting overwritten

Hello All, I am writing a bash script on Solaris O/S. I looping through an array. For each iteration, i connect to the datatabase and use select statement. Output of which is redirected to .CSV file. here is the code for it. output="loop.csv" elements=${#currency_pair} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How safe is Dropbox and Ubuntu one? Would you store critical files or programs there? Any comments o

How safe is Dropbox and Ubuntu one? Would you store critical files or programs there? Any comments on the guarantee that the two companies provide and on the technology used for encryption? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frad
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve the value of a variable from being overwritten?

Hi All, I am new new to unix.com, I have a question related to shell scripting. We have a Oracle database backup shell script, which can be used for taking full, incremental & archive log backup based on the parameters passed. Within the script we export a variable as export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Replace critical files with errors - pam_UNIX_auth.so.1 & fed

I moved my server while it was running. I was in a hurry. Also it's a bare motherboard with drives in a cage sitting basically on their own. Once I realized how badly I had hurt it doing this, I mounted the board in a tower case I repurposed, mounted the drives, power supply etc. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BillyPrefect
1 Replies
lssf(1M)																  lssf(1M)

NAME
lssf - list a special file SYNOPSIS
special_file ... special_file DESCRIPTION
In the first form, lists information about a special file. For each special_file name, determines the major number of the special file and whether it is block or character (using It then scans the system for the device that is associated with the special file. When the device is found, the minor number of the special file is decoded. A mnemonic description of the minor number is printed on standard output along with the hardware path (in other words, address) of the device. Mnemonics used to describe the fields are closely related to the options used with (see mksf(1M)). In the second form, displays the list of stale device special files present in selected directories under the directory. In the third form, executes a Critical Resource Analysis (CRA) on the Options recognizes the following options: Displays the Critical Resource Analysis (CRA) of Displays the stale device special files present in the directories below, which contain special files for mass storage devices. The stale device special files correspond to nodes that have an entry in the system I/O configuration files but the corresponding device is not found. The device special files can either be legacy or persistent (see intro(7)). DIAGNOSTICS
Most diagnostic messages from are self explanatory. Listed below are some messages deserving further clarification. Warnings allow to continue. Warnings There is no information about the device in the kernel. The special file is not usable. Use to remove the special file (see rmsf(1M)). The major number associated with the special file is not in the kernel. Use to add the appropriate driver to the kernel (see kcmodule(1M)). The indicated device driver or device class is not present in the kernel. An of a special file pointing to an unusable device fails. To make the device usable, the appro- priate device driver and/or device class must be added to the kernel using If the device is no longer needed, should be used to remove the special files and update the system I/O configuration files. The file is not associated with an IO device. EXAMPLES
Suppose a special file is created with the command The command then produces: Suppose a special file is created with the command The command then produces: Display stale device special files: Display Critical Resource Analysis information for /dev/disk/disk7: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
I/O system special file I/O system configuration database I/O system configuration database SEE ALSO
insf(1M), kcmodule(1M), mksf(1M), rmsf(1M), intro(7). lssf(1M)