Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lock an account
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting lock an account Post 302236426 by tjay83 on Monday 15th of September 2008 01:17:28 PM
Old 09-15-2008
Thanks for your reply

1-)
When I use "passwd -l" option, somehow I can login with the locked user.
Do you know why?

[root]# passwd -l tj
Locking password for user tj
passwd:Success
[root]#su - tj
[tj] ls

2-)Where should I put ”*LK*” inside the password field in /etc/shadow?
Could you give an example

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to lock keyboard without using lock command

how can I lock my keyboard while I'm away from the computer without using lock command. What other commands gives me the option to lock keyboard device? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dianayun
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login

Dears, I want to lock the user's account after consecutive unsuccessful login attempts, how can I do this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlsun
1 Replies

4. SuSE

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE

Hi , Can anyone give ur answer for How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE Enterprise 10.2 Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik04
1 Replies

5. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

openssh_4.6 on Unixware 7.1.4 - ssh does not lock account after x attempts

Hi all, I am having some issues with openssh vers OpenSSH_4.6p1 on SCO unixware 7.1.4 when a user accesses the system via ssh and the password is incorrect and more attempts have been made that the lock out limit I find that although there are messages in the syslog the account does not lock... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies
PASSWD(5)							   File formats 							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password file DESCRIPTION
Passwd is a text file, that contains a list of the system's accounts, giving for each account some useful information like user ID, group ID, home directory, shell, etc. Often, it also contains the encrypted passwords for each account. It should have general read permission (many utilities, like ls(1) use it to map user IDs to user names), but write access only for the superuser. In the good old days there was no great problem with this general read permission. Everybody could read the encrypted passwords, but the hardware was too slow to crack a well-chosen password, and moreover, the basic assumption used to be that of a friendly user-community. These days many people run some version of the shadow password suite, where /etc/passwd has *'s instead of encrypted passwords, and the encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow which is readable by the superuser only. Regardless of whether shadow passwords are used, many sysadmins use a star in the encrypted password field to make sure that this user can not authenticate him- or herself using a password. (But see the Notes below.) If you create a new login, first put a star in the password field, then use passwd(1) to set it. There is one entry per line, and each line has the format: account:password:UID:GID:GECOS:directory:shell The field descriptions are: account the name of the user on the system. It should not contain capital letters. password the encrypted user password or a star. UID the numerical user ID. GID the numerical primary group ID for this user. GECOS This field is optional and only used for informational purposes. Usually, it contains the full user name. GECOS means General Electric Comprehensive Operating System, which has been renamed to GCOS when GE's large systems division was sold to Honeywell. Dennis Ritchie has reported: "Sometimes we sent printer output or batch jobs to the GCOS machine. The gcos field in the password file was a place to stash the information for the $IDENTcard. Not elegant." directory the user's $HOME directory. shell the program to run at login (if empty, use /bin/sh). If set to a non-existing executable, the user will be unable to login through login(1). NOTE
If you want to create user groups, their GIDs must be equal and there must be an entry in /etc/group, or no group will exist. If the encrypted password is set to a star, the user will be unable to login using login(1), but may still login using rlogin(1), run existing processes and initiate new ones through rsh(1), cron(1), at(1), or mail filters, etc. Trying to lock an account by simply chang- ing the shell field yields the same result and additionally allows the use of su(1). FILES
/etc/passwd SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login(1), su(1), group(5), shadow(5) 1998-01-05 PASSWD(5)