Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need help in character pointer Post 302235749 by shamrock on Friday 12th of September 2008 05:07:51 PM
Old 09-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan_kalluri
Hi,

its ok to pass without leading zeroes. I just need that number

thanks,
jagan
I have very lightly changed jim mcnamara's code...hope he is Smilie with that.
As the model and num variables are going to be used in other functions make them global and the update_new_logical_name() function need not return anything.
Code:
#include <string.h>
char part_one[3];
int num;
void update_new_logical_name(char *src)
{
      if(strlen(src)>=3)
          memcpy(part_one, src, 3);
      if(strlen(src)>=8)
          num = atoi(src+3);      
      printf ("model = %s  num = %s\n, part_one, num);
}

Last edited by shamrock; 09-12-2008 at 06:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. Programming

why we never delete a pointer twice

can u tell me the reson that why we should not delete a pointer twice.? if we delete ponter twice then what happen and why this happen Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Programming

far pointer

what is far pointer in C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

5. Programming

matrix pointer

Can anyone tell me what the following statements do? float (*tab); tab=(float (*)) calloc(MAXCLASS, (MAXCLASS+1)*sizeof(float)); (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

6. Programming

C dynamic pointer

Hi, Can anyone tell me how i can declare and allocate dynamically an array of pointers to structured type?? Is declaration something like this:? struct_name ** array; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer to pointers

Hi guys, I'm trying to understand pointers in C and made a simple example and I've problems with It. Can someone help? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> int f1(char **str_); int main(int argc, char **argv) { char *str = NULL; f1(&str); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies

8. Programming

pointer problem

Does anyone know? int x = 1; int *p = &++x; //ok ! int *q = &x++; //gives an error :O why the first pointer is ok but the second is an error? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
13 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer confusion

Here are two programs that pass a pointer to a variable but behave differently. Shouldnt the i in second program be 0 after the function call? #include<stdio.h> void changeI(int *i) { *i = 10; } int main(void) { int i=5; printf("%d before\n", i); changeI(&i); printf("%d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

10. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies
puts(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						  puts(3C)

NAME
puts, fputs - put a string on a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int puts(const char *s); int fputs(const char *s, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The puts() function writes the string pointed to by s, followed by a NEWLINE character, to the standard output stream stdout (see intro(3)). The terminating null byte is not written. The fputs() function writes the null-terminated string pointed to by s to the named output stream. The terminating null byte is not writ- ten. The st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the file will be marked for update between the successful execution of fputs() and the next successful completion of a call to fflush(3C) or fclose(3C) on the same stream or a call to exit(2) or abort(3C). RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, both functions return the number of bytes written; otherwise they return EOF and set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
Refer to fputc(3C). USAGE
Unlike puts(), the fputs() function does not write a NEWLINE character at the end of the string. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exit(2), write(2), intro(3), abort(3C), fclose(3C), ferror(3C), fflush(3C), fopen(3C), fputc(3C), printf(3C), stdio(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 18 Jun 2003 puts(3C)