Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unable to xterm
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unable to xterm Post 302234686 by vbe on Wednesday 10th of September 2008 05:55:45 AM
Old 09-10-2008
You will not send a "copy" of your unix session by doing so, but open a terminal session on your collegue's display unit then what, how will you type in it after?

1) Is DISPLAY=10.145.5.115:0.0 the display of your collegue?
2) are you using an emulator, a Xserver on PC?
3) what does your collegue use (PC also or unix worksation)?

There are other tools to "share" GUI environment under unix...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xterm

Guys: Anyone have ideas on where can I get information or references if I want to learn on how to program with UNIX GUIs? If you do have ideas please let me know. Its a big help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

Would someone tell me how to save changes in xterm once I've made them using the program options? For example, I type: xterm -bg red and my console window changes color. But how can I now make this attribute save, so that it becomes the default when I relaunch xterm? Any help you can offer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: af6
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm?

Hello all, This is a lame question because I have been working with unix for some years now, but anyway here it is; What is an xterm? ivo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Xterm

I am using a program that opens up an Xterm window, where the simulation running sends a lot of messages to. I would like to keep these messages, but I guess the buffer size is not large enough to show all of them, they get truncated. So my questions are: 1. How can I redirect the messages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xterm help?

I want to add a title to this xterm window but cannot figure out how. Can anybody assist with this? xterm +sb -geom 80x25 -ls -tn xterms -tm "intr ^q" -name unikix -e $UNIKIX/bin/unikixl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

hi I'm trying to launch admintool via an export DISPLAY. that is i am doing a rlogin to serverB from serverA. i did the command export DISPLAY=serverA:0 but it prompted me the error DISPLAY=serverA:0: is not an identifier i have searched the forum but there is not much things on this error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
3 Replies

7. Solaris

right scrollbar on xterm

I'm using exceed on a Windows PC to open a xterm to my SunOs 5.8 system. Everything works fine except for one thing, I can't have my scrollbar on the right side of the xterm windows. Here's a copy of my .Xdefaults file: # xterm xterm*loginShell: True xterm*background: black... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xterm console

Is it possible to connect an xterm session to the console .. ie. `tty` returns /dev/console from a script (Ksh)? (Execute script within an xterm) If so, how? (I take it that C-shell is not possible) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyes27
2 Replies

9. Slackware

xterm problem?

My understanding is that /usr/share/terminfo/x/ is populated from a standard set of files and not by compiling, i.e. tic, termcaps. I am getting from both regular user and root when issuing: man tic ------> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional tset -q --------> xterm: unknown terminal type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Unable to get a Xterm or X app to appear under a Linux Gnome Desktop

I want to have a xterm or xapplication from a Solaris client to appear on my RHEL Server running GNOME desktop. It may sound easy at first but, I have done the basics and I be stuck. Have Tried: Linux - logged in as root, open a Terminal and did a echo $DISPLAY and it reports back :0.0 I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
7 Replies
gnome-session(1)						   User Commands						  gnome-session(1)

NAME
gnome-session - starts up the GNOME desktop environment SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [--choosesession] [--failsafe] [--purge-delay=delay] [--warn-delay=delay] [--suicide-delay=delay] [session-name] [gnome-std- options] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will either load your last session, or provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). You can optionally specify a specific session name to restore. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant sessions. If the user has previously saved a session, the session is loaded from the ~.gnome2/session file. Otherwise, the session is loaded from the /usr/share/gnome/default.session file. Any programs specified in the ~/.gnome2/session/.session-manual will also be started. gnome-session also exports an X Atom called GNOME_SM_DESKTOP on the root window, to indicate that gnome-session has started. Some applica- tions may require such information to proceed correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --choosesession User can specify a session to load, as opposed to the session specified in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. If that entry does not exist in the ~/.gnome/session file (or if that file does not exist), gnome-session will use the default ses- sion, and all saves to that session will be to the new session name. --failsafe Fail-safe operations mode: gnome-session only reads saved sessions from the default.session file. --purge-delay=deThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to register. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 30,000 milliseconds. --suicide-delay=Theanumber of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to die. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. --warn-delay=delThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to respond. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait for- ever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: session-name The name of the session to be loaded. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Starting a session named "MySession" example% gnome-session --choose-session=MySession Example 2: Starting the system default session, ignoring the user's session example% gnome-session --failsafe Example 3: Setting the purge delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --purge-delay=50000 Example 4: Setting the suicide delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --suicide-delay=50000 Example 5: Setting the warning delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --warn-delay=50000 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
gnome-session accepts all of the standard environment variables used by GNOME programs, as well as the SESSION_MANAGER environment vari- able. gnome-session also sets several environment variables for the use of its child processes. See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: SESSION_MANAGER Used by session-manager-aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY Set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that the --display option, if specified, overrides the set- ting of the DISPLAY environment variable. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-session The command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/gnome/defaultDefaultnsystem session file. ~/.gnome2/session User session file. ~/.gnome2/session/.sessiSpecifies programs to start that do not support session management. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-session | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), default.session(5), gnome-smproxy(1), gnome-session-save(1) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 13 Jan 2003 gnome-session(1)