Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix passing environmental Variables Post 302234484 by Annihilannic on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 08:36:59 PM
Old 09-09-2008
If it doesn't need to change frequently you can just set it in your login scripts (i.e. .profile or similar, depending on your choice of shell) on the remote host.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Environmental Variables - where stored ?

Hi all ! Yesterday I defined an environmental variable PATH, but today when I restarted machine, I could not see that it was stored any place. Is there any file where I could save the settings ? I have quite a few env.variables defined, so I need a smarter way to define. regards D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

2. Programming

Conditional Compilation based on Environmental Variable in Unix

I want to be able to access an environment variable to control how a program is compiled. So: export MY_VERSN=9 Then ideally, within my C++ code, I would have #if MY_VERSN = 9 iret = FRED9() #else iret = FRED() #endif The way I thought I could do it is that in the script that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrighterLater
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

4. AIX

Best way to setup my own environmental variables ?

I am writing a few korn scripts to be used by all our operators on several 4.1/4.2 AIX servers. I want to create environmental variables that once set, can be read/modified by my scripts (ex: specific folders, file names, conventions, general values, ...). I thought this would be better then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle environmental variables in shells script

Hi, Getting below error on executing the shell script which initiates sqlplus How to set oracle enviornment variables in the shell script ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with manipulating environmental variables in UNIX

I am wondering if there is away to increment a date in c shell. What I need to do is basic, but I lack the knowledge. I have they following environmental variable in my job scripts setenv YYYY `date '+%Y'` I then set YYYY to be part of my output dataset name: setenv dd_OUTPUTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Don't understand the practical difference between command aliases and environmental variables

Hey, I'm recently learning Unix from the video course by Kevin Scoglund. I'm stuck at the moment where he goes into Environmenat variables. I have some issues with understanding what's the essential difference between EV and command aliases: for instance, by writing the command alias ll='ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing variables from UNIX to Ansible to UNIX shell

I m passing a variable stringg from Unix shell which has value 'Good Day' to ansible and from ansible to a second shell script where it print only Good instead of 'Good Day' passing the variable stringg from unix shell script1.sh echo $stringg ansible-playbook install.yml -i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Environmental Variables are not set when script completes >>

Hi Team, I have a wrapper script which i have pasted below, it internally calls one python script to generate Environmental in a file called /home/oracle/myenv.sh, when i execute this script via wrapper script, its not reflecting in my current session, still showing old env variables. any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
2 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It starts a shell named by the environment variable, or by default and silently records a copy of output to your terminal from that shell or its descendents, using a pseudo-terminal device (see pty(7)). All output is written to file, or appended to file if the option is given. If no file name is given, the output is saved in a file named The recording can be sent to a line printer later with lp(1), or reviewed safely with the option of cat(1). The recording ends when the forked shell exits (or the user ends the session by typing "exit") or the shell and all its descendents close the pseudo-terminal device. This program is useful when operating a CRT display and a hard-copy record of the dialog is desired. It can also be used for a simple form of session auditing. respects the convention for login shells as described in su(1), sh(1), and ksh(1). Thus, if it is invoked with a command name beginning with a hyphen (that is, passes a basename to the shell that is also preceded by a hyphen. The input flow control can be enabled by setting environmental variable before running Please see section for details on using this envi- ronment variable. EXAMPLES
Save everything printed on the user's screen into file Append a copy of everything printed to the user's screen to file WARNINGS
A command such as which displays the contents of the destination file, should not be issued while executing because it would cause to log the output of the command to itself until all available disk space is filled. Other commands, such as more(1), can cause the same problem but to a lesser degree. records all received output in the file, including typing errors, backspaces, and cursor motions. Note that it does not record typed char- acters; only echoed characters. Thus passwords are not recorded in the file. Responses other than simple echoes (such as output from screen-oriented editors and command editing) are recorded as they appeared in the original session. When there is no input flow control is not set), there can be some data loss while using However, script(1) can behave unexpectedly, if is set and is not set. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. script(1)