Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device Post 302234098 by masterofdesaste on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 06:11:03 AM
Old 09-09-2008
@vbe:Thx 4 your answer.
nope that was a mistyping from myside. sorry. so it shows /dev/tape.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, We are running a perl script to upload some data using SQL* Loader. We pipe the data in a http request to SQL*Loader which loads the data to the database. We encounter the error "Inappropirate ioctl for device" when we try to upload huge data. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tojaiganesh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error :confused: : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello, I have a cron entry: 59 23 * * * . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv filename filename_$mydate Which works fine interactively, but gives me the following error when it runs in cron: Your "cron" job on servername . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+ produced the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Inappropriate ioctl for device, format error

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2 hd 64 sec 63>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear all, Problem goes like this: I have a shell script which when run manually runs perfectly. When same script is executed through a job schdeduler I get an error as Inappropriate ioctl for device and the script fails. This problems seems quite guiling to me. Any clues are heartly... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hdparm + Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. Code: hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device after ssh command

Hello everyone I am finishing a script allowing me to purge logs on multiple servers, i have one last pb with the ssh command.........it is throwing me the following error : tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device (full screen in attached file 1, full script in attached file 2) It... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, ssh -q -t -l $usr $host bin/test.sh I am using above command to run script remotely. script is working without any issues. but I am getting "tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device" message on console. plz help how can I avoid this message. Thanks Moved thread from Emergency... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kri
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample program tty, this will be get called from my script test_script. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #define TTY_NAME_MAX 32 #define STDIN_FILENO 0 /* Standard input. */ int main(void) { int ret = 0; char local_device_file; printf("\npid =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
HT(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     HT(4)

NAME
ht - TM-03/TE-16,TU-45,TU-77 MASSBUS magtape interface SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NHT ht_drives # TE16, TU45, TU77 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments ht ? 172440 224 5 htintr # tu 16 massbus tape major device number(s): raw: 6 block: 0 minor device encoding: bits 0003 specify HT drive bit 0004 specifies no-rewind operation bit 0010 specifies 1600BPI recording density instead of 800BPI DESCRIPTION
The tm-03/transport combination provides a standard tape drive interface as described in mtio(4). All drives provide both 800 and 1600 bpi; the TE-16 runs at 45 ips, the TU-45 at 75 ips, while the TU-77 runs at 125 ips and autoloads tapes. FILES
/dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
mt(1), tar(1), tp(1), mtio(4), tm(4), ts(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
tu%d: no write ring. An attempt was made to write on the tape drive when no write ring was present; this message is written on the termi- nal of the user who tried to access the tape. tu%d: not online. An attempt was made to access the tape while it was offline; this message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to access the tape. tu%d: can't change density in mid-tape. An attempt was made to write on a tape at a different density than is already recorded on the tape. This message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to switch the density. tu%d: hard error bn%d er=%b ds=%b. A tape error occurred at block bn; the ht error register and drive status register are printed in octal with the bits symbolically decoded. Any error is fatal on non-raw tape; when possible the driver will have retried the operation which failed several times before reporting the error. BUGS
If any non-data error is encountered on non-raw tape, it refuses to do anything more until closed. The system should remember which controlling terminal has the tape drive open and write error messages to that terminal rather than on the console. 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 28, 1988 HT(4)