Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: touch
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting touch Post 302234025 by arunk2000 on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 01:52:15 AM
Old 09-09-2008
The problem is 100% due to the permission. First the script would have run in some other user id, so that when u tried to execute the script the touch command couldn't able to change the time stamp as the file has no write permission.

For eg, when first tried with someother id the file woul have created with rw-r--r-- permission. While u tried with some other id without deleting the file which was created earlier it would have thrown the error as u have mentioned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Function

I would like to "touch" all of the files in all of my directories. Instead of typing touch *.* in each directory, how would have unix touch all files in all of my directories? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a025321
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

hello everyone i am new to this forum and was wondering if you all could help me out.... i am looking for a touch command that can touch directories as well as files that does not involve sygwin... any and all help would be appreiciated :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OrthoProof USA
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch and permission

Hi All, I have requirement to give permission to empty file. I do it in two steps. But is it possible using touch command with some option for providing permission for a file. Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch help

I need to change the modified time to below time , but can't get through using touch Nov 27 10:16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on touch command

Hi all I changed some of my files in my hoem directory to old dates using the touch command like this touch -t 200805101024 file name but after using this command the date changed properly but it displays like below -rwxr--r-- 1 fincntrg fingrp 193619 May 10 2008 vi.pdf I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Touch Command

Hello, I am trying to use touch command to create 1200 .txt files. I am using this, but it is not working. touch `seq 1 1200`.txt Regards, Siddhesh.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with touch and timestamps

Hello fellow Unix geeks, I have been given a very urgent assignment in my office on writing a particular Shell script but I'm very much new to it.I would appreciate any help from you on solving this problem--which might seem very trivial to you. The Unix flavour is a Sun Solaris one..(not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Digjoy83
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Let- ters u, g or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable: chmod o-w file chmod +x file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), chown (1), stat(2), umask(2) CHMOD(1)