Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux grant root privileges to ordinary user Post 302233811 by broli on Monday 8th of September 2008 01:58:24 PM
Old 09-08-2008
if its only to "mount" and "umount" then you can use the "users" option for the mount point in /etc/fstab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

root privileges

Hi I have make a program that needs root privleges but any user can try to run it, so what I want it is, when any user tries( other than root ) to run the program, an input prompt would open to enter root password ( if user knows ) and program will run ( otherwise exit ), and after completing... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching user from root to ordinary user

Good day Guys!!! I am currently making a script in AIX, the script runs a SAS job, the owner of the script is the root, but the SAS jobs cannot be run by the root, as it should be run by a user 'sasia'. But inside the script, root creates a logfile, so what I need is just to su to sasia for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasia
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root privileges

Hello, As admin with root rights, to execute any command from another user without password-ask, I do : su - <user> -c "<cmd>" But how can I do to give the same rights to another physical user without using root user ? :confused: I've try to create another user "toor" with the same primary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharaola
9 Replies

6. Programming

Grant privileges in Oracle

i have installed oracle 10g and two databases. i enter database1 as sysdba and create a user called user1.i give the privileges as "select on" to user1. i enter sqlplus from the shell prompt. i enter as user1. but when i do "select * from emp" i have a "the table doesn't exist". how can i give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: symeje
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Grant print related privileges

Afternoon everyone, I would want to ask that how/what privileges i should grant to a new user so that the user can clear /disable printing job queue? Solaris OS: 5.9 Thanks. :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Privileges like root

My English is no very good. I must make a bash scripting sh create like a backdoor, and when execute the script a user without privileges convert in super user or root, whithout introducing the password. In Spanish: Crear un script que sirva como puerta trasera al sistema, de manera que al... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitievbr
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

User with root privileges in hp ux

hi, i am new in hp ux and i must create a user with root privileges and so i disable ssh connection from root login. thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliste
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
UMOUNT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 UMOUNT(8)

NAME
umount -- unmount filesystems SYNOPSIS
umount [-fv] special | node umount -a | -A [-fv] [-h host] [-t type] DESCRIPTION
The umount command calls the unmount(2) system call to remove a special device or the remote node (rhost:path) from the filesystem tree at the point node. If either special or node are not provided, the appropriate information is taken from the fstab(5) file. The options are as follows: -a All the filesystems described in fstab(5) are unmounted. -A All the currently mounted filesystems except the root are unmounted. -f The filesystem is forcibly unmounted. Active special devices continue to work, but all other files return errors if further accesses are attempted. The root filesystem cannot be forcibly unmounted. -h host Only filesystems mounted from the specified host will be unmounted. This option is implies the -A option and, unless otherwise spec- ified with the -t option, will only unmount NFS filesystems. -t type Is used to indicate the actions should only be taken on filesystems of the specified type. More than one type may be specified in a comma separated list. The list of filesystem types can be prefixed with ``no'' to specify the filesystem types for which action should not be taken. For example, the umount command: umount -a -t nfs,hfs umounts all filesystems of the type NFS and HFS. -v Verbose, additional information is printed out as each filesystem is unmounted. FILES
/etc/fstab filesystem table SEE ALSO
unmount(2), fstab(5), mount(8) HISTORY
A umount command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 8, 1995 4th Berkeley Distribution