Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Easy unix/sed question that I could have done 10 years ago! Post 302233146 by dewsbury on Saturday 6th of September 2008 09:10:01 AM
Old 09-06-2008
Thank you all but...

I think I may have confused the issue for the last post. (franklin52)

The $5 was confusing me!

I deliberately spelt Ireland incorrectly to demonstrate the requirement.

Unfortunately I chose the letter "L" (in lower case) to demonstrate the mispelling. A lower case "L" looks the same as the pipe symbol.

Presumably the elegant last post should be adjusted to reflect the letter "L" issue.

Incidentally, I will study the solutions provided in more detail.
The code provided made me realise how much I used to love playing with "awk" and also how much a few lines of code can achieve.

Last edited by dewsbury; 09-06-2008 at 10:25 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix attacks in the last 5 years.

Hi, Could anyone direct me to any sites that have any info on unix attcks or hacks in the last 5 years. This is needed for an assignment. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suzant
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy UNIX notation question

can anyone tell me what exactly the following UNIX notation code does cause I need to do the same in windows? for x in webapps/sal/*.htm* do mv $x $x.bak sed 's@bob@sal@g' $x.bak > $x done Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lavaghman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy unix question

I am trying to check through all of a certain type of file in all main directories, and find the top 10 that are taking up the most space. How can I do that? I was thinking like du *.file | sort -n | head (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wallacer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy sed question?

I have a line like: "Jun 19 12:56:22 routername 45454:" I want to keep all information except the seconds of the time. I tried: sed 's/..:..:../..:../g' but apparently I'm on the wrong track, because although that matches on the time, it replaces it with the literal ..:.. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Command to separate this years files and last years?

Hello - I have a folder that contains files from 2003 till 2010. I am trying to figure out a command that would seperate each years file and show me a count? Even if i can find a command that would give me year by year count, thats good enough too. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
8 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Anyone remember this Dr. Rootus post from 27 years ago?

From Wed Sep 4 09:35 MDT 1991 Received: from by with SMTP (16.6/15.5+IOS 3.20) id AA25932; Wed, 4 Sep 91 09:35:27 -0600 Return-Path: Received: by (16.6/15.5+IOS 3.20) id AA10424; Wed, 4 Sep 91 09:34:58 -0600 Date: Wed, 4 Sep 91 09:34:58 -0600 From: Message-Id: <> To: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpezz
0 Replies
toupper(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       toupper(3C)

NAME
toupper - transliterate lower-case characters to upper-case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); DESCRIPTION
The toupper() function has as a domain a type int, the value of which is representable as an unsigned char or the value of EOF. If the argument has any other value, the argument is returned unchanged. If the argument of toupper() represents a lower-case letter, and there exists a corresponding upper-case letter (as defined by character type information in the program locale category LC_CTYPE), the result is the corresponding upper-case letter. All other arguments in the domain are returned unchanged. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, toupper() returns the upper-case letter corresponding to the argument passed. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
_toupper(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Aug 2002 toupper(3C)