Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Paste Command does not align my output Post 302232913 by jplayermx on Friday 5th of September 2008 01:35:38 PM
Old 09-05-2008
The incorrect an correct are not identical.

My incorrect output shows the numbers right one space after the animal file names but what I need is to put the all numbers aligned in a second column.

Then result.cnt file is created like this:
dog.csv 2323
cat.csv 33
elephant.csv 4444
cougar.csv 545545

but I want my result to be as something like the following
....................<-I need the number to start here
dog.csv.........2323
cat.csv..........33
elephant.csv...4444
cougar.csv.....545554
(Please take the dots (...) as spaces, I put them because the original post was ignoring the spaces)

I tried your code but got an error "ksh: column: not found"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

paste command

I wonder if any body can help me with a command i am struggling with. I have a file with around 400 lines in, in a program i have it pulls out each line at a time so that data from the line can be cross referenced with another file. If it finds a match it pulls out a ocde from the second file, this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to underline/bold and how to align output

Hi, I work with AIX 5 and have two basic questions: 1) How do I underline/bold a word in a text output? Any way to do it with echo command? basic example: echo "FOLDER " >> folder.txt ( I wish the word FOLDER to be underlined and bold). 2) Suppose I have the following pipe delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clara
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want ie: i have 2 files pwd /home/pavargaz/alejo/scan01/nokia/2006/abril/bavaria/chu0 $ cat filechu chu0 dia Cantidad 01 257 02 262 03 260 04 58 $pwd ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command issue

Problem with Paste command :) Hi All, i need small suggestion in my below script... i have output in .txt format like below file1.txt 01111111 02222222 03333333 file2.txt 230125 000012 000002 now i want to merge both the file in xls or csv formate now i am using the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command

input1 15 150 input2 x 10 100 input3 y 20 200 z 34 44 cmd paste -d "\t" input1 input2 input3 >>output output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Paste Multiple SQL output result to exec command

Hi, I want to write the shell script to change multple file name (the file name is get from DB) e.g. cp db1.txt file1_new.txt cp db2.txt file2_new.txt cp db3.txt file3_new.txt I have write the script like this: VAR=`sqlplus -s $LOGON @<<ENDOFTEXT set termout off ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackyntk
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command - question

Hi, Below file content is output from pasting two files. Now, i want to output another file which just contains the difference on any line For example: JAY,2,,3,5,B+,JAY,2,,3,5,B+ ANN,5,,5,1,C,ANN,5,,5,2,C Line JAY seems to have no difference. However, line ANN has difference in on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Paste command formatting

Hi, I was trying to concatenate some files using paste command along with some formatting but getting stuck. The problem is: cat 1.txt A cat 2.txt B C cat3.txt D E cat 4.txt G H (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with paste command

Hi, I am facing issue with paste command. It is adding spaces or tab in between. I have say 3 files with below data File_1 TH THI THIS I File_2 IS IS S IS RE S File_3 RECORD 1 CORD 2 IS RECORD 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simanto
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better Align--output of find command

Hi, i have sh program which search for a file in a folder structure and provides its path. This is just used to see if that file exits more that once anywhere down the folder structure. I have used find command to search & printing it output on terminal. I have attached screen shot of it.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar198
10 Replies
REC2CSV(1)							   User Commands							REC2CSV(1)

NAME
rec2csv - rec to csv converter SYNOPSIS
rec2csv [OPTIONS]... [REC_FILE] DESCRIPTION
Convert rec data into csv data. -t, --type=TYPE record set to convert to csv; if this parameter is omitted then the default record set is used -S, --sort=FIELD sort the output by the specified field. --help print a help message and exit. --version show version and exit. AUTHOR
Written by Jose E. Marchesi. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to: bug-recutils@gnu.org GNU recutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Jose E. Marchesi. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for rec2csv is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and rec2csv programs are properly installed at your site, the command info rec2csv should give you access to the complete manual. rec2csv 1.4.93 January 2012 REC2CSV(1)