Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX UID allocation
Operating Systems AIX AIX UID allocation Post 302231073 by dgaixsysadm on Monday 1st of September 2008 01:43:26 PM
Old 09-01-2008
found it!

The directory /etc/security contains many files used to configure individual user or system-wide security defaults. The files listed below can be modified to enhance system security at your site:

/etc/security.ids

Holds the value for the next assignment to a group/user id and group/user admin id. Used by mkuser and mkgroup commands.

Sample contents: 4 203 12 200

where...

* 4 = administrative user id (mkuser -a)
* 203 = user id (mkuser)
* 12 = administrative group id (mkgroup -a)
* 200 = group id (mkgroup

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory allocation

I would like to know how I could allocate some more memory to a process. Please note that I am not the root user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar
1 Replies

2. AIX

User ID (UID) in AIX

what is the upper limit for UID is AIX 5.3 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner
1 Replies

3. AIX

Device allocation on an LPAR

Has anyone ever encountered the following error message: Unable to allocate the I/O slot ,,,,,,, for activation. This I/O slot is identified as a required adapter to activate this partition. This was sent to me by one of the AIX admins working with me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOw to get a variable allocation

HI Gurus, I had a requirement where i want to allocate a file name into a variable and get the file name in the subj of email. Suppose i have a file File002.pdx in the folder /home/pcs/system/files/File002.pdx Iam using a variable a = `ls /home/pcs/system/files/*.pdx` Iam using *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

5. Programming

array dynamic allocation

Hi, I have the following problem: i must allocate a dynamic array from a subroutine which should return such array to main function. The subroutine has already a return parameter so i thought of pass the array as I/O parameter. I tried the following program but it doesn't work (segmentation... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
11 Replies

6. Programming

memory allocation in subroutine

Hi everyone, I'm not new to C programming, but I'm having question regarding the memory allocation of a pointer variable which, for instance, will be declared in main(), but its memory will be allocated in subroutine. To clearify my question, I provide a small working example: #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MIB_Maik
1 Replies

7. Programming

dynamic allocation vs static allocation in c

i wrote a tiny version of tail command using a large buffer statically allocated but, in a second time, i found another version in which i use a bidimensional array dynamically allocated. here is the first version /*my tiny tail, it prints the last 5 line of a file */ #include<stdio.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasclaus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Memory allocation in C

Hi Experts I need some help in static memory allocation in C. I have a program in which I declared 2 variables, one char array and one integer. I was little surprised to see the addresses of the variables. First: int x; char a; printf("%u %u\n', &x, a); I got the addresses displayed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_freak
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Block-based allocation and Extent-based allocation in Solaris

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's this figure about? (See the attached figure below.) This is a representation of block allocation filesystem and extent allocation filesystem in Solaris. Does this mean that in a block-based allocation, data are placed in individual blocks while in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

memory allocation to a variable

hello all.. i'm a beginner in shell scripting. I need to know what is really happening when we are creating a variable in shell scripting? how memory is allocated for that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
3 Replies
IDMAP_RID(8)                                                System Administration tools                                               IDMAP_RID(8)

NAME
idmap_rid - Samba's idmap_rid Backend for Winbind DESCRIPTION
The idmap_rid backend provides a way to use an algorithmic mapping scheme to map UIDs/GIDs and SIDs. No database is required in this case as the mapping is deterministic. IDMAP OPTIONS
range = low - high Defines the available matching uid and gid range for which the backend is authoritative. Note that the range acts as a filter. If algorithmically determined UID or GID fall outside the range, they are ignored and the corresponding map is discarded. It is intended as a way to avoid accidental UID/GID overlaps between local and remotely defined IDs. base_rid = INTEGER Defines the base integer used to build SIDs out of a UID or a GID, and to rebase the UID or GID to be obtained from a SID. This means SIDs with a RID less than the base rid are filtered. The default is not to restrict the allowed rids at all, i.e. a base_rid value of 0. A good value for the base_rid can be 1000, since user RIDs by default start at 1000 (512 hexadecimal). Use of this parameter is deprecated. THE MAPPING FORMULAS
The Unix ID for a RID is calculated this way: ID = RID - BASE_RID + LOW_RANGE_ID. Correspondingly, the formula for calculating the RID for a given Unix ID is this: RID = ID + BASE_RID - LOW_RANGE_ID. EXAMPLES
This example shows how to configure two domains with idmap_rid, the principal domain and a trusted domain, leaving the default id mapping scheme at tdb. The example also demonstrates the use of the base_rid parameter for the trusted domain. [global] security = domain workgroup = MAIN idmap backend = tdb idmap uid = 1000000-1999999 idmap gid = 1000000-1999999 idmap config MAIN : backend = rid idmap config MAIN : range = 10000 - 49999 idmap config TRUSTED : backend = rid idmap config TRUSTED : range = 50000 - 99999 idmap config TRUSTED : base_rid = 1000 AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 IDMAP_RID(8)