Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to set permanent variables Post 302230831 by agasamapetilon on Sunday 31st of August 2008 05:00:04 PM
Old 08-31-2008
You made it even more clear to me with your explanation Smilie I checked and the login shell I have is Korn shell.

Code:
/usr/bin/ksh

Is the Korn shell compatible with Bash? I make this question because I created the .profile and I want no problems with it. I made a check also at $HOME/ and I only have: .profile (the one I created), .vi_history and .sh_history but no more of the likes of $HOME/.shrc that you mentioned. Should I create a file for this specific shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set permanent setenv !!!

Hello, I just want to know ow I can set permanent pathes or whatever using setenv command. I'm using c shell . regards, me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Variables to Set Other Variables

I have a script that I'm trying to shorten (below) by removing repetitive code. if ] then commodity_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then customer_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then department_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then division_ndm_done=Y fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

by using c++ how to set environment variables in unix

hi, I am writing c++ code in unix operating system.In that i need to set the environment variable in unix. suppose previously i have environment variable like path="something" now i need to change the path value to some othervalue . so that some other program will access that path value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sada@123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SET Command removed the variables

Hi, Im using csh and sometimes bash. I accidentally typed SET and looks like it has resetted some enviroment variables as im not able to run autosys jobs etc .. So i wanted to know how i can put it back to normal by replacing any profile files from another user or by editing the file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spectator
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9 -- unable to set permanent PATH

Hi, I've read forums far and wide trying to learn how to append to my PATH in Solaris 9 and every time I think I am close I discover my system is not configured the same. Its so frustrating because this all stems from a new server I am trying to setup identical to the production machine. (Of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoraddict
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

set permanent ulimit

Hi all I have a request from user to change the file descriptors limit to 8192. The current setting are: root@xxxxx:(wmdev)> ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to SET Environment variables

Hi Could you please tell me how to set environment variables in Unix ksh. And how can acess those varibles in shell scripts ( Please give the code with an example) For my scenario. We have written number of shell scripts with hard coded username and password. But if we want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to set permanent aliases?

Hi All On my Solaris 10 X86, under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles" When I run the above... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set a variable name from another variables value?

Experts, I want to set value of variables like this in bash shell: i=5 ; L=100 I want variable d5 (that is d(i) ) to be assign the value of $L , d$i=$L ; echo $d5 Not working Thanks., (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set variable permanent in csh?

We are using csh on our AIX platform, if we have to export/set a specific environment variable we use setenv command but its only valid till session. How do we set that variable permanent in our csh AIX? Do we put it in userprofile file or something else? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixusrsys
1 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)