Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password parameters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Password parameters Post 302230437 by kristleigh on Friday 29th of August 2008 12:31:19 PM
Old 08-29-2008
Password parameters

I'm not knowledgeable about UNIX and I have a question.

I'm an IT Auditor and I'm looking for my client's User Profile password settings. In some versions of UNIX it is in the etc/profile or etc/login files but in SCO and HP UNIX it is in a different file. Does anyone know which file?

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

AIX: Default Password Parameters

I am working on AIX flavor of Unix and was trying to run a script to obtain default settings of user passwords. The script uses the command to obtain default valid user attributes for: /etc/security/user for some reason, the message says- cat: cannot open /etc/security/user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eysheikah
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH Password-less login fails on password expiry.

Hi Gurus I have a few Sol 5.9 servers and i have enabled password less authentication between them for my user ID. Often i have found that when my password has expired,the login fails. Resetting my password reenables the keys. Do i need to do something to avoid this scenario or is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

OSX asks password but i don't use a password!!

When i try to install some software OSX asks for a password but i don't use a password at all. Somebody knows a answer please??? asta (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astapopulos
4 Replies

7. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
mesg(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mesg(1)

NAME
mesg - Permits or refuses write messages SYNOPSIS
mesg [y | n ] [Tru64 UNIX] The following format is supported for backward compatibility: mesg [[-]y[es] | [-]n[o] ] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mesg: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPERANDS
Grants permission to other users to send messages to the terminal device. [Tru64 UNIX] You can optionally include a - (hyphen) before y, include es after y, or both. Denies permission to other users to send messages to the terminal device. [Tru64 UNIX] You can optionally include a - (hyphen) before n, include o after n, or both. DESCRIPTION
The mesg command controls whether other users on the system can send messages to you with the talk and write commands. Called without arguments, mesg displays the current terminal message permission setting. [Tru64 UNIX] The shell start-up procedure disallows messages by default. You can override this default action by including the line mesg y in your $HOME/.profile (sh), (csh), or (csh) file. Note [Tru64 UNIX] This default setting described for the shell start-up procedure message permissions assumes that the shell is one started as part of a login session. If the shell got started by some other means, the default depends on what that other program has done. [Tru64 UNIX] Any user can send messages with write if the receiving user has enabled messages. A user with the sysadmin command autho- rization can send messages to any terminal. The terminal device affected is determined by searching for the first terminal in the sequence of devices associated with standard input, standard output, and standard error, respectively. (In other words, the affected device is not the same as the controlling terminal for the session.) [Tru64 UNIX] Message permission has no effect on messages delivered through the electronic mail system. [Tru64 UNIX] If you add mesg y to your $HOME/.profile, you will be able to receive messages from other users via the write command or the talk command. If you add mesg n to your $HOME/.profile, you will not be able to receive messages from other users via the write command or the talk command. The mesg command also accepts the current locale's equivalent of yes and no. These equivalents are determined by the setting of the LC_MESSAGES environment variable. The usage message displays the current locale's equivalent of yes and no. Security Restrictions [Tru64 UNIX] In the trusted configuration of the system, all terminal devices have owner set to the login user and group set to the pseu- dogroup tty. The login command sets terminal modes to 0600 at login time, so you must explicitly use mesg y to enable access from unautho- rized users. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] If your current locale defines settings other than yes or no, the mesg command does not accept yes or no as arguments. This causes an error if you use a yes or no argument to mesg in your file. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Message reception is allowed. Message reception is denied. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To allow only appropriately authorized users to send messages to your terminal, enter: mesg no To allow everyone the permission to send messages to your terminal, enter: mesg yes To determine the state of message acceptance of your terminal, enter: mesg This will give one of the following responses, as appropriate: is yes is no ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mesg: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
User profile User profile (csh) User profile (csh) Your current terminal SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1), csh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), stty(1), talk(1), wall(1), write(1) Functions: chmod(2) Standards: standards(5) mesg(1)