Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to assign value to a variable with row(using -n) returned by sed Post 302228776 by joeyg on Monday 25th of August 2008 11:43:41 AM
Old 08-25-2008
Tools Prefer to assign variables differently

Take a look at this example of variable assignment:
Code:
> ls file*
file1  file2  file3
> filecnt=$(ls file* | wc -l)
> echo $filecnt

Rather than the ` backticks, using the $(...) seems to be a little cleaner to execute and read. Perhaps modify your variable assignment similarly?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the returned value of a function to a variable

Hi, Can anyone please show me how to assign the returned value of a function to a variable? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trivektor
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - using value returned by W+

Hi, In a file old.txt containing (for example) a series.. #limerick There was a young lady from Nantucket.. \images\Blank.jpg :end #joke A horse walked into a bar... \images\Blank.jpg end I would like to achieve new.txt containing #limerick There was a young lady from Nantucket..... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nigel_R
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check variable value when nothing is returned

Hi all, I am wondering how can I check when a variable has nothing returned in it. I am trying to store a pid in this variable to see if a script is running in the background. So I am using something like that proc_pid=`ps -ef |grep script.sh|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'` if then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geovas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim sed output & assign to variable

Hi, I have the following command that parses an xml file to read a node <port>'s value. Hoever the output comes with spaces. My requirement is to trim the spaces around the value and assign to a variable. sed -n 's|<port>\(.*\)</port>|\1|p' ../cfg.xml How do I go about it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2013
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in sed to find specific pattern and assign to variable

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 1.1.1.1; Release Date: 2002/04/30. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
2002/04/30 MERGE(1)