Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in embeded command substitution Post 302222557 by wrl on Thursday 7th of August 2008 03:24:17 AM
Old 08-07-2008
problem in embeded command substitution

$ echo $(tty|sed 's#/[a-z]*/##')
pts/0
$ who | grep $(tty|sed 's#/[a-z]*/##')
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 0551-011.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Standard.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open input.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open is.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open not.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open a.
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open tty..
$

does anybody know why the command substitution gots error here?
does any rule forbid the command substitution in pipeline?
thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK embeded PERL

Hello Guys, I am refering to this great forum once again for help. After various attempts at this, I am still failing to obtain the desire effect. I have to write a perl script which: 1- reads two values from the user (e.g name & passwd) 2- check each value against a file containing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution problem.

Hi, Just need some help in this. Suppose there is one file a.txt, which contains this data: "25187","00000022","00",28-MAR-2007,"" ,"D",-000001550,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ,29-MAR-2007 613TB.STEXTRF1 "25187","0000004H","00",29-MAR-2007,""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define an alias with an embeded awk command ??

Hi all, I'm trying to define an alias with an embeded awk command: alias kpipe='kill `psme| grep "ifw -r" | grep -v "grep ifw -r"| awk '{print $2}'`' The problem is that the awk command (awk '{print $2}') contains two ' ..' quotes. So bash assumes that the first awk quote corresponds to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
5 Replies

4. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab command substitution problem

Hi all, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 Linux. I have a cron job entry to run a shell script at a scheduled time. This script has a X application to be launched. As cron does not pick already exported environment variables and it runs in a separate environment, I need to export the DISPLAY variable to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

8. Programming

Error in Python Embeded in Qt C++

hi i have an error in script language when run it i use python 2.4, CentOS 5.5, Qt C++ 2010/04 the error is SystemError: null argument to internal routine the Python Code def main(i): print i if __name__ == "__main__": main(i) the C++ Code PyObject *objModule =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HanyM.Magdy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Embeded shell variable in command line

Hello, I know this is a situation about the single quote and double literal, but I could not figure out after many search. I need to loop through thousands of different BACs sequencing to optimize kmer individually. IN=/PATH/TO/INPUT/FILES for sample in S{01..1096} do run_program... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)