Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting sed to work on part of a line Post 302221547 by cfajohnson on Monday 4th of August 2008 06:46:50 PM
Old 08-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixoticking11
I just want to find a way to only get rid of spaces between the < and the > and nothing else on that line and nothing else on lines that don't have < and >.

Using bash or ksh93:
Code:
while IFS= read -r line
do
  while :
  do
    case $line in
      *"<"*">"*)
           left=${line%%<*}
           line=${line#"$left"}
           tag=${line%%>*}
           line=${line##*"$tag"}
           printf "%s" "$left" "${tag// /}"
           ;;
      *) break;;
    esac
  done
  printf "%s\n" "$line"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace part of a line with sed/awk

Hello I have a document and in this document I have several occurrence of "VAR == xxxxxxx" and xxxxx can be anything. I don't know what it is. I want to replace the 'xxxxx's with something I know. What I know however, is the line numbers of the VAR =='s in the file. How can I replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - replace with new line didn´t work for solaris

Hi This is what I was trying to do, comment one line and add something different in a new line right next. This is the command I want to do more .profile | sed 's,STRING1, #STRING1 NEWLINE STRING2,' (I´m using ',' because my string is something like this exec... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcalina
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does Sed Search/Replace Work For Multiple Matches On The Same Line?

Hello, I would like to delete all the footnotes in all my htm files. Hence, I have to delete the whole font tag pairs, i.e. deleting everything between the begin/end font tags. I create a testfile, of which data parts of all four lines are the same except for the number of font tag pairs,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cibalo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change part of a line with sed

Hi gurus, I'd like to change this complete line on a file: BAN_COMMAND="/etc/apf/apf -d $ATTACK_HOST {bfd.$MOD}" to this one: BAN_COMMAND="/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $ATTACK_HOST -j DROP" I've tried a lot without any successful . :( thanks in advance Israel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to remove part of line with regex

Greetings everyone. Right now I am working on a script to be used during automated deployment of servers. What I have to do is remove localhost.localdomain and localhost6.localdomain6 from the /etc/hosts file. Simple, right? Except most of the examples I've found using sed want to delete the entire... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk - removing part of line?

hi all, I am having trouble finding the right string for this - I dont know whether to use awk or sed.. If I have a file with alot of names and phone numbers like this McGowan,Sean 978-934-4000 Kilcoyne,Kathleen 603-555-1212 Club603,The 617-505-1332 Boyle,William 301-444-1221 And... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for picking a part of line

Hello Friends I want to use sed command to pick a part of line. FOr example I only need the /home_put1/bidds/myfo part of following line fish://ulavet@rits1.ula.com.tr/home_put1/bidds/myfo How can I do this bu using sed command ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED and Solaris Append line to the end of File does not work

Hello, I have to add a new line at the end of a File on Solaris-System: I think my script should be right, because I evaluated it to other threads. However the script does not what I am expected it should do. My file might look like this: Line1 Line2 Line3 And my script could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timo_HR
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello. Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"And I have a variable name for the parameter to change PARAMETER="fallback_node" PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path" A config file may contain : 1°)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD> foo </TD> </TR> </TABLE> Tags that won't be formatted The <A> and <PRE> tags are not formatted. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser caus- ing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(CODE XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; BUGS
This section intentionally left blank. AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm dis- tribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 CGI::Pretty(3pm)