Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: searching apattern...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching apattern... Post 302221403 by broli on Monday 4th of August 2008 11:35:49 AM
Old 08-04-2008
use awk to match the user name
awk -F':' '$1 == "$variablename"' /etc/passwd

with the other problem, you are making tons of mistakes, but not even checking how many parameters you have

Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide

you need to chek that,

and if you need to read names form a file, use something like

while read line
do
echo "the var line contains this: $line"
done < /path/to/file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for {

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to do the following: I have a file that looks like this: 0 CacheMaxConn 4 64 0 RMThread 16 3423423 7 DataSource 0 /hello/sas/ses 0 {94545B4-E343-1410-81E4-08000000} 3 DDBE 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotoruja
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching searching

Guys Im checking some of my files for errors. I want to be able to find text and make sure it's located on the right place. Example Chapter 1 TEXT LKJ TEXT 12Y more and more text Chapter 2 TEXT 34G TEXT HHG more and more text Chapter 3 TEXT FG45 TEXT 11w more and more text ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching Files

Hi, I have a file /db01/dat/march 2006/7001DW06.03B Please note, between "march 2006" there is a space/tab. While running the following script, it identifies /db01/dat/march ----> as first file 2006/7001DW06.03B ---> as second file. SRC_PATH = /db01/dat SEARCH_FILENAME =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file

Hi At the moment I am able to add text to a file but what I need to do is make sure the same value is not duplicated. Can anyone tell me how to search a file and prevent an update from taking place if the value to be entered already exists in the file? Any help would be greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: straight_edge
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching in VI

Hi, I would like to do a search and replace on a file using vi. Something like this: :%s/dst_port=****//g I want to search the entire file and replace all text that does not match dst_port=**** with space or nothing. In other words delete everything except for dst_port=****. The four *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file searching...

Hi! i'm trying to do a script (i'm not an expert, as you will see...:o) to search files in a directory (and its subdirectories). I'd like to have something like this: mysearch -a arg1 -b arg2 -c arg3 ecc... I'd like to be able to search for files in different ways: for example, with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching

How would i search to find all the lines consisting of of only the letter "z" followed by any four characters? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep searching

I am making a script but having little problem. at one part I need to find one number format or other format from a file.. those formats are xxx-xx-xxxx or xxxxxxxxx i tried grep '( \{3\}-\{2\}-\{3\} |\{9\})' if i do them sepratly it work but like this it is not working Please check... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching

Hi guys, I have a very common issue :( im trying to work it out but I am still not used to it. my problem is searching. very often I should look for piece of string in a text file or a file itself: I want to learn some easy and professional commands to ease this routine for me. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.16.3 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)