Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in accessing variables outside shell Post 302216172 by joeyg on Friday 18th of July 2008 06:46:50 AM
Old 07-18-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver One 'trick' I have used is..

I write the variables to a temp file. Then, my other scripts and programs can simply read the test file to determine any variables.

If you write to a temp file similar to the folowing file my_var.tmp
Code:
client, Smith Marketing
year, 2007
taxable, yes

Then you could in other scripts do a:
Code:
client=$(cat my_var.tmp | grep "^client" | cut -d"," -f2)

Although not perfect, it does allow another way to share variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing ksh variables from awk

hi everybody! i am running this ksh script for replacing a set of strings by another set of new ones. i am getting both these from a file. also, the strings that i want to replace, are sub-strings(can occur more than once in each chunk) in a big chunk of data that i have bulk-copied(bcp utility)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti wagh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing Variables from .conf file

I can't figure out how to access variables that are stored in a separate file. Can someone let me in on the secret? Please, and thank you. -Kevin (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayne1411
7 Replies

3. Programming

accessing unix variables in oracle

Hi, consider the following script. ip='***.***.**.**' user='****' pw='******' ftpresults=`ftp -nv $ip<<EOF user $user $pw cd /home/oracle/practice size $1 bye EOF` fname=$1 echo $ftpresults sqlplus -s tms/tms@dev45 <<"EOF" insert into remote_file_sizes (file_name,file_size)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing Shell Variables in awk or sed

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to pass and use variables from shell environment into sed or awk. I am trying to achieve something similar to the following using sed or awk: var=some_regular_expression grep "$var" filename # Will extract lines from filename The following code,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasersh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

I have a variable $exe in a shell script file a.sh which I need to access in another shell script file b.sh. How can I do that? :rolleyes: Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem accessing Multiple Variables from C Program to a Shell script

program name--test #!/bin/bash output1=`/home/user/a.c` output2=`/home/user/a.c` k=`$output1 + 1` m=`$output2 + 1` echo $k echo $m --------------------------------------------------------------------------- prgram name--a.c #include<stdio.h> int main() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameworld1980
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accessing PL/SQL OUT variables in Korn Shell Script

Hello All, I was just wondering if there is any direct way to access PL/SQL OUT variables from Korn Shell Script. I could already figure out how to return a single value back from PL/SQL to Shell Script (using bind variable). But, what if we want to return multiple values? One option I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bright_future
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script called sample1.sh where I have 2 variables. Now I have another shell script called sample2.sh. I want the variables in sample1.sh to be available to sample2.sh. For example. In sample1.sh I am finding the sum of 2 numbers namely a and b. Now I want to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables outside the function

I have the below code to find yesterdays date, In this I want to make MONTH, DAY and YEAR as global variableand use it outside the {}, but I am unable to do so , please assist: #!/usr/bin/ksh date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - $1` case "$DAY" in 0) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

10. Programming

GDB problem accessing static variables in C

Hi, Can anyone explain this please..... This is on AIX with GDB (tried a few versions). It only happens when program compiled in 64 bit and only with static variables.... A simple test program... ### snip #include <stdio.h> main() { static int n; n = 6; printf("hello %d\n", n);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagpussnz
0 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)