Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace UTF-8 characters with tr Post 302209172 by Franklin52 on Thursday 26th of June 2008 05:39:07 AM
Old 06-26-2008
Maybe you can use the POSIX "Equivalence classes" e.g. [wiki]=e=[/wiki] match any of e, è, or é.
It should work with awk not with sed. Hope this helps.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Characters...

In a file, How do I replace a set number of characters in each line? For example.... substitute the first 54 characters of each line with mv? Thanks! Lisa (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgardner17325
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to replace characters

Hi I have searched for a way to replace odd characters in a FOLDER NAME. All search-and-replace issues I have seen, only involves how to make search-and-replace on a FILE och with TEXT INSIDE a FILE. My problem is with the FOLDER NAME. My case is this: I have a couple of persons that every... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arndorff
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Header Replace characters

Hi, I have a flat file with header with tab delimiter. nbr id name salesid detail num source num jun_2007 jul_2007 aug_2007 sep_2007 ....feb_2008 I need to modify the header for the columns nbr to Id1 jun_2007 to Jun07 jul_2007 to Jul07 aug_2007 to Aug07 sep_2007 to Sep07... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umathurumella
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace characters using tr

Hi, I have a file which includes some French Characters and I want to change them to other characters like À to &Agrave; Â to &Acirc; É to &Eacute; ..... ..... and so on. I am tyring to use tr command like tr ÀÂÉ &Agrave;&Acirc;&Eacute; < input file But it does not work. Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters between $ and . with .

Hi - I have below in put to demo.txt /test/xyz/ibcdownload.jsp /test/xyz/pvxprogramtreeovermain.jsp /test/xyz/jtfrsrsr$HtmlTag.jsp /test/xyz/csdronumlov.jsp /test/xyz/iecvaluereset.jsp /test/xyz/ibecumpassignrole.jsp /test/xyz/ozfoffermarketmain.jsp output should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
4 Replies
UNTEX(1)						      General Commands Manual							  UNTEX(1)

NAME
untex - strip LaTeX comands from input SYNOPSIS
untex [ options ] [ files ... ] DESCRIPTION
Untex removes some LaTeX commands from the files listed in the arguments (or standard input) and prints the output to standard output. OPTIONS
- read from standard input. -o remove options to LaTeX commands, i. e. everything in brackets [] behind a command. -i process "include{file}" and "input{file}" and "input file" commands. -m (try to) remove all math code. -u replace all "a (etc.) with ibm (CP850) characters. -uiso replace all "a (etc.) with ISO characters. -uascii replace all "a (etc.) with ascii characters. -g replace all "a (etc., from german.sty) with ibm (CP850) characters. -giso replace all "a (etc., from german.sty) with ISO characters. -gascii replace all "a (etc., from german.sty) with ascii characters. -e remove environment names. -a remove arguments of commands (not recommended). -g implies -u, -a implies -o. SEE ALSO
latex, tex, detex BUGS
The -g and -u options only work for german accented characters. Not fixed due to lack of time, any help is appreciated. The includeonly command is ignored. Using -u option in a UTF-8 terminal doesn't work. Using it alone in a Latin1 terminal doesn't work either, you must also add -uiso. AUTHORS
Untex was written by Michael Staats (michael@hal6000.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE). The -gascii and -uascii options were added by Denis Endisch (denis@smoky.ikf.physik.uni-frankfurt.de). Thanks to Subhasish Mazumdar (mazumdar@ringer.cs.utsa.edu) for some hints for improvements and bug reports. 4th Berkeley Distribution Version 1.2 1994 April 6 UNTEX(1)