Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for deleting 30 days older Post 302208638 by spirtle on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 12:43:32 PM
Old 06-24-2008
Read man find to find out all about -atime and its friends.
To match aa, ab or ac sunstrings in the filename, use a regexp like
Code:
find . -name "*a[abc]*

The bit in brackets means "match any of these characters".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting / finding files older than X days missess a day

Hi When trying to find and delete files which are, say, 1 day, the find command misses a day. Please refer the following example. xxxd$ find . -type f -ctime +1 -exec ls -ltr {} \; total 64 -rw-rw-r-- 1 oracle xxxd 81 Apr 30 11:25 ./ful_cfg_tmp_20080429_7.dat -rw-rw-r-- 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files older than 7 days

Hi Guys, I want to delete folder/files older than 7 days. Im using the command below. find /test/test1 -mtime +7 -print0 | xargs -0 rm -Rf /test/test1/* which works ok, but it deletes the test1 folder as well which i dont want. The test1 folder will have a list of sub-folders which in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shezam
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting specfic files older than N days

Hello, I am trying to delete specific files older than 7 days that start with FSTRnnnn (nnnn=sequnce number) from /home/users/userdir I.E cd home/users/userdir ll FSTR0001 Jul 8 14:20 FSTR0002 Jul 6 12:01 FSTR0003 May 25 09:45 FSTR0004 April 2 17:20 MSTR0034 Jul 6 12:45... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eurouno
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to tar files older than 30 days

Hi all. Here's my situation: I have performance reports that run every 30 minutes saved in the format: stats_report_11251000.txt stats_report_11251030.txt stats_report_11251100.txt stats_report_11251130.txt (Obviously run at Nov 25 10 AM, 10:30 AM, 11 AM and so on...) I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to remove files older than 60 days

Hi I need help in the script which looks at a contorl file which has a list of file names like xxxx.12345 and I want to take only xxxxx and search in a specific directory and remove the file if its older than 60 days I have written something like this.. but seems to be wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files older than 7 days

Hi Guys, I am new to unix I am looking for a script to delete files older than 7 days but i also want to exclude certain directories (like arch,log .....) and also some files with extensions ( like .ksh, .ch, ..............) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MAYAMAYA0451
1 Replies

7. AIX

Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

Hi In my aix server under the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract", I have a lot of log files. I need a script which is to be added in crontab so that the files and directories older than 14 days should get deleted automatically from the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract". Please advise me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting entries older than 7 days from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains entries in this format. my-bin.000140 my-bin.000141 my-bin.000142 my-bin.000143 my-bin.000144 my-bin.000145 my-bin.000146 my-bin.000147 my-bin.000148 my-bin.000149 my-bin.000150 my-bin.000151 my-bin.000152 my-bin.000153 my-bin.000154... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files in a folder older than 2 days

hi i need a script to delete the files older than 2 days... if my input is say in a folder versions A_14122012.txt A_15122012.txt A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt i want my output to be A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt thanks in advance hemanth saikumar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

we need to have periodic clean up implemented in our sap directory \\sapds\PR1\int\scm\snp\outbound\snapshot. which needs unix script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically in sap system unix os. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvkreddy_b2w
1 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files SYNOPSIS
find pathname-list expression find pattern DESCRIPTION
In the first form above, find recursively descends the directory hierarchy for each pathname in the pathname-list (i.e., one or more path- names) seeking files that match a boolean expression written in the primaries given below. In the descriptions, the argument n is used as a decimal integer where +n means more than n, -n means less than n and n means exactly n. The second form rapidly searches a database for all pathnames which match pattern. Usually the database is recomputed weekly and contains the pathnames of all files which are publicly accessible. If escaped, normal shell "globbing" characters (`*', `?', `[', and ']') may be used in pattern, but the matching differs in that no characters (e.g. `/') have to be matched explicitly. As a special case, a simple pat- tern containing no globbing characters is matched as though it were *pattern*; if any globbing character appears there are no implicit globbing characters. -name filename True if the filename argument matches the current file name. Normal shell argument syntax may be used if escaped (watch out for `[', `?' and `*'). -perm onum True if the file permission flags exactly match the octal number onum (see chmod(1)). If onum is prefixed by a minus sign, more flag bits (017777, see stat(2)) become significant and the flags are compared: (flags&onum)==onum. -type c True if the type of the file is c, where c is b, c, d, f, l or s for block special file, character special file, directory, plain file, symbolic link, or socket. -links n True if the file has n links. -user uname True if the file belongs to the user uname (login name or numeric user ID). -nouser True if the file belongs to a user not in the /etc/passwd database. -group gname True if the file belongs to group gname (group name or numeric group ID). -nogroup True if the file belongs to a group not in the /etc/group database. -size n True if the file is n blocks long (512 bytes per block). -inum n True if the file has inode number n. -atime n True if the file has been accessed in n days. -mtime n True if the file has been modified in n days. -exec command True if the executed command returns a zero value as exit status. The end of the command must be punctuated by an escaped semi- colon. A command argument `{}' is replaced by the current pathname. -ok command Like -exec except that the generated command is written on the standard output, then the standard input is read and the command executed only upon response y. -print Always true; causes the current pathname to be printed. -ls Always true; causes current pathname to be printed together with its associated statistics. These include (respectively) inode number, size in kilobytes (1024 bytes), protection mode, number of hard links, user, group, size in bytes, and modification time. If the file is a special file the size field will instead contain the major and minor device numbers. If the file is a symbolic link the pathname of the linked-to file is printed preceded by ``->''. The format is identical to that of ``ls -gilds'' (note however that formatting is done internally, without executing the ls program). -newer file True if the current file has been modified more recently than the argument file. -cpio file Write the current file on the argument file in cpio format. -xdev Always true; causes find not to traverse down into a file system different from the one on which current argument pathname resides. The primaries may be combined using the following operators (in order of decreasing precedence): 1) A parenthesized group of primaries and operators (parentheses are special to the Shell and must be escaped). 2) The negation of a primary (`!' is the unary not operator). 3) Concatenation of primaries (the and operation is implied by the juxtaposition of two primaries). 4) Alternation of primaries (`-o' is the or operator). EXAMPLES
To find all accessible files whose pathname contains `find': find find To typeset all variants of manual pages for `ls': vtroff -man `find '*man*/ls.?'` To remove all files named `a.out' or `*.o' that have not been accessed for a week: find / ( -name a.out -o -name '*.o' ) -atime +7 -exec rm {} ; FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group /var/db/find.codes coded pathnames database SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), fs(5) Relevant paper in February, 1983 issue of ;login:. BUGS
The first form's syntax is painful, and the second form's exact semantics is confusing and can vary from site to site. More than one `-newer' option does not work properly. 7th Edition October 11, 1996 FIND(1)