Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File permission problems.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File permission problems. Post 302207365 by The Nemi on Thursday 19th of June 2008 05:00:35 PM
Old 06-19-2008
Problem Solved

Thank you incredible.

The problem was umask in my .profile was not 022, i had changed that value to some other value when trying to figure out the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Permission

I have written a shell script function, this function reads a encrypted a file and does some processing. I want to give execute permissions to others but I don't want to give read access to the shell script function. Since the shell script function know how to open the encrypted file so that's why... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting file permission problems...

Hello all - I have two systems. 1) Linux box running Redhat 8.0 2) Tru64 box running V4.0f From the Linux box I am remotely mounting a directory (nfs mount) that resides on the Tru64 machine. The directory that is nfs mounted contains two subdirectories: my_dir1 my_dir2 I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heron
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Permission

User - sysopr need to convert the output file from Oracle UTL_FILE_DIR using dos2unix command. However, the file owner and the group is belongs to oracle with dba group as follows: -rw-r--r-- 1 oradw dba 22049864 May 23 15:37 transmission*.csv What are the possible methods to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

6. Web Development

Permission problems calling Ruby from php script

I'm just getting my feet wet with web development, so hopefully this is a simple thing I'm overlooking, but so far I'm stumped. I have a php script that calls Ruby via exec(). This works fine in my test environment, but when I moved it to my production environment I run into a permissions... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantes990
7 Replies

7. Ubuntu

File permission

Hi Friends, I want to create one user on my server in such a way that when he logged in by ssh on server,he can able to access ONLY /var/www/drupal-6.2 this directory. Please tell me how should i do that. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail dir permission problems.

I accidently deleted the queue directory and now i'm receiving this error when I try to send email with sendmail. :~# mailq MSP Queue status... /var/spool/mqueue-client (1 request) -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- s495xA7J002673 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV file with other permission

Hello All I have a file with rw-rw-r permission I need to mv the file into different directory (dir has rwx-rwx-rwx permission) with an others permission The application which is moving the file falls in other group I am getting the error mv cannot renamed permission denied ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
12 Replies

10. HP-UX

File permission

Hi, Could you please tell me the OS command to grant as similar to below permission? rwxrwxr-x OS -- HP-UX Regards, Maddy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
8 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)