Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to Extract
Operating Systems Solaris How to Extract Post 302207205 by incredible on Thursday 19th of June 2008 10:36:30 AM
Old 06-19-2008
It depends on what you're looking for. you can use a combination of the awk , uniq ,sort and grep commands...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract String

Hello. I would like to extract the word "PATTERN" from a file that occurs on mulitple lines: {1:5TIROEKUDRSH0027000755}{2:O4351423051114PATTERN40130656410423N} Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fields from from this

thank youuuu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnallamothu
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract the Pattern

Hello All, can anyone help me out in extracting the pattern from a file... The Input file is: NFS B.11.11 ONC/NFS; Network-FileSystem,InformationServices,Utilities|123 NParProvider B.11.11.01.04.01.01 nPartition Provider|456 NPartition A.01.02 Enhanced NPartition Commands/789... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extract a character

HI Guys, Have a Doubt...... I have a pattern "abcdef" and i need to extract the third character..ie(c) How to achieve it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern extract

Hi I have a pattern like : SYSTEM_NAME-232-S7-200810060949.LOG Here I need to extract system name and the timestamp and also the numeric number after "-S" i.e 7 here . I am not very sure of whether I should use sed / awk for this ?:confused: Thanks, Priya. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract the value

hi i have a file which has following content: <config> <key>Protocol</key> <value>SIP</value> <config> i want a script which will see the value of Protocol is SIP. Can any one pls help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Number

I am trying to extract the numbers from the strings. Lakers win 80% of the games 24 numbered Kobe scores 90% from free throw line Chances of Lakers winning championship is 100% I have data like this. and am looking to extract the % 80% 90% 100% (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string

xyz_dat_20110501_00000789.tar xyz_meta_20110501_00000789.tar My requirement is to get the string 'dat' and 'meta' from the above string. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract IP from logs and

story ------------------------ The file is a.out, it consist a set of logs from user access to my system ( email system) question -------------------------- using shell script, how can we extract 2 sets of IP output from the a.out log by separate the IP, determine human and non-human... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
21 Replies
uniq(1) 							   User Commands							   uniq(1)

NAME
uniq - report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-f fields] [-s char] [ input_file [output_file]] uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-n] [ + m] [ input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility will read an input file comparing adjacent lines, and write one copy of each input line on the output. The second and suc- ceeding copies of repeated adjacent input lines will not be written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Precedes each output line with a count of the number of times the line occurred in the input. -d Suppresses the writing of lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignores the first fields fields on each input line when doing comparisons, where fields is a positive decimal integer. A field is the maximal string matched by the basic regular expression: [[:blank:]]*[^[:blank:]]* If fields specifies more fields than appear on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -s chars Ignores the first chars characters when doing comparisons, where chars is a positive decimal integer. If specified in con- junction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. If chars specifies more characters than remain on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -u Suppresses the writing of lines that are repeated in the input. -n Equivalent to -f fields with fields set to n. +m Equivalent to -s chars with chars set to m. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: input_file A path name of the input file. If input_file is not specified, or if the input_file is -, the standard input will be used. output_file A path name of the output file. If output_file is not specified, the standard output will be used. The results are unspeci- fied if the file named by output_file is the file named by input_file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the uniq command The following example lists the contents of the uniq.test file and outputs a copy of the repeated lines. example% cat uniq.test This is a test. This is a test. TEST. Computer. TEST. TEST. Software. example% uniq -d uniq.test This is a test. TEST. example% The next example outputs just those lines that are not repeated in the uniq.test file. example% uniq -u uniq.test TEST. Computer. Software. example% The last example outputs a report with each line preceded by a count of the number of times each line occurred in the file: example% uniq -c uniq.test 2 This is a test. 1 TEST. 1 Computer. 2 TEST. 1 Software. example% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of uniq: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
comm(1), pack(1), pcat(1), sort(1), uncompress(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 uniq(1)