Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: List & While Loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List & While Loop Post 302207032 by era on Thursday 19th of June 2008 03:17:34 AM
Old 06-19-2008
It's not really clear what you mean, but I guess something like

Code:
for f in john paul george ringo era; do
  grep "$f" stuff | sed etc
done

(We note that grep | sed is often a Useless Use of Grep but this is just an example.)

I sort of liked the O'Reilly awk book. Kernighan & Pike also has a few sections on awk, in a context where you see how they thought it fits in with the rest of Unix. There's loads of links over in the FAQ forums.

Last edited by era; 06-19-2008 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Link to O'Reilly book, it's available free on-line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop from list

is it possible to run a while loop by comparing a variable with a list ? taglist="<html> </html> <head> </head> <body> </body> <p> </p> <ul> </ul> <li> </li> <em> </em> <title> </title>" read newtag while ] do echo "Entry is not in list, please try again' read newtag done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to list a directory & file

Good day every body, Iv've been given a list of files and directory requested by the Auditor's. My problem is how do i list the file with the permission given and also save the file into text.file so that i can passed the result/oucome to them?? Thanks alot guys!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagasan_makmur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use file as list in for loop...

Can I use a file as the list in a for loop? I tried it like this: workstation=( $(cat /home/me/file) ) for ws in $workstation do command done The contents of file are like: abc def ghi It only read the initial line. Does each item have to be quoted? Do they have to all be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loop & awk

I cut specific cell(row=2, column=1) in my excel file and created new file using following script. awk -F"," 'NR ==2 {print $1}' file1.csv > file1_new.csv awk -F"," 'NR ==2 {print $1}' file2.csv > file2_new.csv and so on.... The problem is that I have thousand files and I have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonhk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash & Ksh loop problem

hi i was trying to optimize one script and i came across this problem .. i am putting some pseudo code here $ >cat a.sh ls | while read I do i=$(($i + 1)) done echo "total no of files : " $ >ksh a.sh total no of files : $ >bash a.sh total no of files : why is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & if loop

Dear All, I have a file with 1s and 0s with tab delimited file of approximately 535 lines and 1000 columns. I would like to print the lines, which are having 1s in it and i don't want to print the links with complete 0s. Is it possible to do the above one using awk with some looping. Need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
2 Replies

7. Solaris

X2200 in reboot loop & mounting ZFS drive on other boxes

So I was patching a Solaris 10 U08 X86 X2200 box in preparation for an Oracle upgrade. Rebooted the box because the patches failed and the box will not boot successfully. I need to back up the zones on the 2 drives before going further. I pulled the drives and attempted to mount them on my Ubuntu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem Using If & For loop in AWK Command

I am parsing file for the fields using awk command, first i check 26th field for two characters using substr function if it matches then using for loop on array i search 184th field for 4 chars if it matches then i print the required fields but on execution i get the error, please help...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop & SUM

pcmpath query device |awk 'BEGIN{print "DEVICE NAME\tSERIAL"} /DEVICE NAME/ {printf "%s\t", $5; getline; print substr($2, length($2)-3)}' This script returns output like below to pull out "DEVICE NAME SERIAL". ...... hdisk28 110B hdisk29 1112 hdisk30 1115 hdisk31 1116 hdisk32 1128... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to loop through list

i have a variable that contains a list of files: varA="/var/tmp/hello_0_myapp /var/tmp/mello_1_myapp /var/tmp/jello_2_myapp /var/tmp/fello_3_myapp" And i'm calling this variable in several functions: col0 () { FILE=$(echo "${varA}" | egrep "_0_myapp" | sed "s~_0_myapp~~g")... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)