Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple script to alert of archive logs filling Post 302206279 by joeyg on Tuesday 17th of June 2008 11:29:18 AM
Old 06-17-2008
workings for the script

The following is a script that would use what you just told me; remember to delete the # comments from the df command line and the mailx command line.

Code:
> cat check_size 
#! /bin/bash
# check amount of space in use

#df -m >tmp_log_anal

curr_spc=$(cat tmp_log_anal | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f3 | cut -d"." -f1)
echo $curr_spc

#send messages if above threshold

if [ $curr_spc -ge 7257 ]
   then
   echo "Threshold exceeded"
#   mailx -s "log file nearly full" abc@123.com 
fi

explaining this:
Code:
curr_spc=$(cat tmp_log_anal | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f3 | cut -d"." -f1)

gets rid of extra space characters
using space char as delimiter, takes the 3rd field
now using period as delimiter, takes the 1st field (tricky way to get a whole number from a decimal)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to archive logs older than 5 days & then delete them?

My code is tar -cvf logs.tar `find /usr/openv/logs/512*.log -mtime +2` && find *.log* -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \; this gives me output as: tar: Missing filenames:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timus1980
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filling out Web Form from Script

I am trying to fill out a web form from within a script I am writing. I think that I should be using curl to do this, but I'm not really sure. The form has username and password fields and a submit button. I want to be able to log in from the command line. Html from the site: <h5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script to alert if internet not working?

Hi, I am constantly automaticaly downloading a few things on the internet but since my internet connection is unstable, it sometimes wont work. Thing is the internet will appear to be connected, but no website can be accessed and no program can successfully connect to any location. I can fix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
4 Replies

4. Solaris

archive logs mount point space check script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. -------------------------------------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script filling password from command line

I have this command that i am calling from php (exec()): openssl pkcs12 -export -in cert.pem -inkey key.pem -out cred.p12 and then i need to insert password twice Enter Export Password: Verifying - Enter Export Password: I need script that will fill the password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyada
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] script is filling up my /var/log

I am trying to create a script that checks if my VPN connection is up and running... Everything seems to work as except but for some reason, the script fills up my /var/log/auth.log with the below information Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
5 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)