Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris IP Multipathing
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris IP Multipathing Post 302206077 by maadhuu on Tuesday 17th of June 2008 02:10:48 AM
Old 06-17-2008
Solaris IP Multipathing

Hi,

I saw your post on the forums about how to setup IP multipathing. I wanted your help on the below situation .

I have 2 servers A and B . Now they should be connected to 2 network switches . S1 and S2.

Now is it possible to have IP Multipathing on each of the servers as follows ?

A's bge0 connected to S1's ethernet port
A's bge1 connected to S2's Ethernet port ? Basically having the multipathing between 2 different switches ? If yes, what would change on the solaris server ?
Similarly ,I would want
B's bge0 connected to S2's ethernet port
B's bge1 connected to S1's ethernet port .

Next question :
Can I have the server point to some other IP as the default gateway apart from the directly connected link ? I would want to have switch level redundancy as well and one of the challenges I face is with respect to what should be configured as my default gateway.

thanks a ton .

cheers.
maadhuu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Quick Poll: Solaris IP Multipathing

I've setup Solaris IP Multipathing under Solaris whenever the hardware to do so was available. I find it amazing though that so few places I've worked at don't use it until I arrive. I wanted to find out if I'm running into all the exceptions, or is it really not being used? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
3 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris multipathing

I have solaris 10 sparc. I installed a Qlogic hba card. This card is connected on a brocade switch and the brocade is connected on 2 different controllers on a Hitachi disk bay. I formated 2 luns. On my solaris system, i have 4 disk. How to configure solaris 10 to fix the dual disk view. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) Help

Hello All, I work for a Health care company at a local trauma hospital. I maintain a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PAC's). Basically, any medical images (X-Ray, CT, MRI, Mammo, etc) are stored digitally on the servers for viewing and dictation from diagnostic stations. I took over... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
10 Replies

4. Solaris

Disable Inbuilt multipathing software of Solaris 10

Dear UNIX Gurus I need to know how to disable MPXIO feature (Inbuilt multipathing software of Solaris 10) as we are going to implemented iSCSI EMC based SAN. I am bit new to this feature so kindly suggest how to disable it Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris multipathing

Hai we using emc storage which is conneted to M5000 through san switch. we asign 13 luns but in server it is showing 22 luns. i enable the solaris multipathing (MPxIO) #more /kernel/drv/fp.conf in that file MPxio-disable=no #mpathadm list lu it shows ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshmani
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Multipathing - problem

Hello, I turned on the server multipathing: # uname -a SunOS caiman 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140 stmsboot -D fp -e And after a reboot the server, multipathing is not enable: # stmsboot -L stmsboot: MPxIO is not enabled stmsboot: MPxIO disabled # ls /dev/dsk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to Cleanup Multipathing

I have a server running redhat 5.5 and it has one SAN device presented to it as LUN9. How can I clean up the remaining entries. I cannot afford to interupt the service. Please assist. # multipath -l mpath0 (36000097000019260298953666633436) dm-11 EMC,SYMMETRIX \_ round-robin 0 \_ 2:0:0:9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

8. AIX

Multipathing in AIX

Hi, I know the concept of multipathing, but would like to know how to configure multipathing in AIX. or software/driver is by default present in AIX?????? How to find out wheather multipathing is configured in AIX????? Regards, Manu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

9. Solaris

ZeusIOPS multipathing failed Solaris 11

hi, just installed solaris 11.1 (11.1.9.5.1) on a sun7410 ZFSSA (x4440 + j4400), but when I enable multipathing with "stmsboot -e", only the 1TB SATA drives inside the j4400 are configured as multipathed vhci / mpxio devices, but the logzillas / ZeusIOPS drives are skipped. the server is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Verify multipathing

I have a couple of questions regarding multipath. If I do vgdisplay vg01, I see it is using 1 PV: /dev/dm-13 If I type multipath -ll I see dm-9, dm-10, dm-11, dm-12, but do not see dm-13. Is my vg01 multipathed? How can I actually know for sure? Secondly, let's say this time vg01 says... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies
SETETHER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SETETHER(8)

NAME
setether - Set the ethernet address for use with DECnet SYNOPSIS
setether <if> [<if>...]|all [options] DESCRIPTION
Set ethernet MAC address on ethernet adaptors This script should be run at system startup. It will change the ethernet hardware (MAC) address of any or all ethernet interfaces to match the DECnet node address. DECnet requires that the MAC address of all ethernet adaptors running the protocol be set approriately. If you do not run setether then you must change the ethernet address in some other way for DECnet to work. By default no ethernet interfaces will have their MAC addresses changed by setether, if you specify all then all interfaces name eth* will be changed, otherwise a list of interface names can be specified. setether will enable (UP) all interfaces it changes the MAC addresses of. (2.4 only) The first interface specified on the command-line will also be made the default interface for DECnet operations (ie attempts to contact nodes not in the neighbour table will be done over this interface). This script must be run with the interface inactive, it is normally run from /etc/init.d/decnet before TCP/IP starts up. EXAMPLES
set the MAC address of eth0. # /sbin/setether eth0 set the MAC address of all ethernet interfaces # /sbin/setether all HELPFUL HINTS
If you have multiple ethernet cards on your system and they are connected to the the same network you should specify which one you want to use for DECnet communication on the setether command line, otherwise they will both be given the same MAC address and this is probably not what you want. Running DECnet on multiple ethernet interfaces only works under Linux 2.4. If you are running Linux 2.2 then the interface name on the setether command line must match the one in /etc/decnet.conf(5). SEE ALSO
decnet.conf(5), dntype(1), dndir(1), dndel(1), dnetd(8), dnping(1) DECnet utilities March 01 2001 SETETHER(8)